OLD BUDDIES

Dominque had a second chance. Marco's kidney added days to his lifespan and saved him from the agony of dialysis. The man was thankful, and he didn't forget those who fought with him.

"Oh, Dominque."

"Hello, Ms. Zainab, Mr. Jacobs. Happy New year."

No, Dominque did not forget his buddies still tied to the machines.

The old man smiled, "it's so good to see you. How are you?"

"Good," Dominque replied while he took a seat.

"Happy New Year to you too, health, happiness, and prosperity," Ms. Zainab added.

Mr. Jacobs nodded, "I second that. They allow you to come here?"

Dominique winked, "know a few people."

The hospital's policies were strict, but Dominque's smile opened doors. To say he was unaware of his features would be a lie.

"I'm sure your looks serve," Ms. Zainab said.

Dominque regained his beauty capital. The carved traits of hollow eyes gave way to the chiseled jawline and sharp snipper eye stare.

His body weight was not there yet, but he looked healthier in the ensemble. A few years back, people loved to compare his facial structure to the French model Richard Deiss, but with the 365 DNI trend, the man found himself reduced to the mafia boss doppelganger. Dominque did not care about comparisons; he was just himself, and it was enough.

"So, what have you been up to?"

"Well, I spent the first three weeks after the operation with my parents, which was great. My sister had a baby girl, so I also saw her often. I've been catching up with my son. That's about it, I guess," Dominque replied with a weak smile.

Mr. Jacobs And Ms. Zainab stared at each other.

And it was Mr. Jacob who proceeded with the question to which they craved to ask, "how's the woman you were madly in love with?"

Dominque clapped his hands together, "she's gone, and I'm still madly in love."

The two patients exchanged puzzled stares. They both knew how much Dominque held to the woman he would make an effort to see even after an exhausting dialysis session.

Dominque made a mistake, which was more a miscalculation where he didn't reveal his health condition. All believed the woman would forgive him. Not knowing all the circumstances of Kaede's and Dominque's breakup, Ms. Zainab and Mr. Jacobs thought the woman was harsh.

"Isn't there a way for you to make up?" Mrs. Zainab asked. The older woman's eyes filled with concern.

"No, not in this lifetime at least."

Dominque was a good man who survived death. He needed to have someone by him. It was saddening to hear him speak this way.

Mr. Jacob laughed at the fatidical tone Dominque employed, "oh come on, nothing is carved in stone."

"Yeah, but she's happy with someone else. I don't see myself crashing in on that. Kaede is a good person. She deserves to live happily."

"You know what, you'll meet someone else," Ms. Zainab added.

"There's no one like her."

Mr. Jacobs joined in on the positivity following in the woman's steps, "you're right, there's better. If you're open-minded and you let a foot wedged on your heart's door, the person will come."

"I hope you're right."

"Of course, I am. Otherwise, why would God allow you to live longer if it's to torture you? I think you've had more than you're fair share of sufferings."