HANDYMAN

Neha gave slots at odd hours.

6 pm to 9 pm.

1 pm to 3 pm.

7 am to 10 am.

The woman lived in windows where rotations were blue. Studio sessions were orange, something called job was pink. The slots given were when she was supposed to rest, but she wrote and studied within them.

Dominque wondered if she saw other people than patients and doctors when he received the colorful PDF.

Also, when he calculated, Neha slept four see five hours a night maximum. Her slash hammer humor found a short explanation for anyone who slept little became cranky with time.

The sheet was an open book that allowed Dominque to learn more about his tenant.

He sent a message at 4 pm: Hi, is tomorrow at 7 am, okay?

The man expected a quick reply, but Neha's Hi, yes, it's fine came in at 3 am the following day.

A light sleeper, Dominque got to see the message and set the alarm. The ring three hours later sounded the beginning of what Dominque saw as a drill exercise.

He showered and put on an old fleece outfit he had and an old pair of New Balance he didn't mind sacrificing to paint.

The van he borrowed from uncle Luis was already loaded. Dominque rarely wore caps or beanies outside of work as the GIGN always had their heads covered with either one or balaclavas, but here, he preferred to protect his hair from the enemy particles of dust. His hair had grown; he had not cut them since his breakup and his kidney operation, and now he could tie them in a low ponytail.

Thirty minutes later, he stood at the door where Undiz Disney Princess Jazmine pajama set in lilac and sponge Bob sponge slippers came to knock his sight out.

"Eh, hum, hello."

"Hi."

No smile or welcoming mimicking in woman let him in.

Used to women wanting to make a good impression, Neha let Dominque in a grey zone.

"Eh, you can go up. I cleared the room so you can work."

"Okay," Dominque replied.

The woman did not add a word. Dominque's gaze followed her as she went to sit on a mat where Neha began what seemed to be a breathing exercise.

Dominque went up and found the bedroom cleared. The bed was pushed to the only side of the wall in good condition.

It was weird to be in the room, where memories, mainly sexual, ran wild. The bed was the same, but the man had the mattress changed before the woman moved in. Dominque would not have forgiven himself if he inflicted the woman with a bed that had its fair share of hot nights.

Dominque did not waste any time; he forced the souvenirs back into their box. He began taking off the wallpaper. The whole wall needed sanding down before being treated and covered again.

He played no attention to the shuffling or noises, but at 8 am, when the sweet smell of coffee and eggs hit his nose, the man was in a trance.

Dominque hoped Neha would at least offer coffee. He could not be more wrong. Neha ate her breakfast and got ready. He was there to work, not to be fed by her. Besides, she calculated the portions in her fridge for one person.

At 10 am, they left.

It was only on the third day that Neha came up," excuse me, would you like some coffee?"