ALPHA

Neha sang two more songs.

Wes's stare found itself torn between Shiri's and stalking Dominque's movements.

In all the years he'd known the woman, never had Wes seen her with another man. Faize, his sister, told him how the Neha sent any suitor packing.

Why?

Wes didn't care; all he knew was she was single, intelligent, beautiful, and the type of woman he would like to present to his parents.

Working around the clock, Wes had no time to play, even for the sake of it. Being in the music industry, the man kept his body parts in place. He refused to have a baby mom in every city, reclaiming a pension or to be like his father, who lived between his wife and mistress. Wes wanted one woman; he wasn't asking for the world, just one woman with integrity.

The first time he heard Shiri sing, Wes was a goner, but Jashiri was that specific type of woman who didn't mix business with pleasure. Wes respected that; it was one of his rules too, but the man was ready to break them anytime for Jashiri. 

Some would say he had multiple chances, but for Wes, it was about the right timing. For many years his ambitions took over all his desires. Now he stood at that spot where he could think about his personal life. Jashiri applied the same process, and Wes didn't wish to get in the way by making noise within her thoughts. 

 Things went pretty well until Mr. Landlord. Wes saw no intent from Jashiri, but it was more than evident Dominque wasn't playing bodyguard for the glory. Never mind, Wes had the firm intention of taking the woman to the heights she dreamed, and he would make sure to be there when her heart and mindset switched on the love mode.

After the songs, Neha and Dominque left the studio.

Dominque boiled; up till now, he managed to keep the emerging feelings under wraps. There was no rush; he took his time, not knowing the nature of the feeling he harbored. He hoped they would define themselves, but the emotions affirmed themselves in front of someone he believed was a potential rival.

Hye Ju, Kaede, Dominque trusted the woman he loved. He never got jealous, even when the men who swooned over his woman worked with them.

What did his laxity earn him?

Being cheated on and left.

Perhaps he should mark his territory a little more. For the first time, the man desired to fend for himself.

"So, what did you think? Did you like the songs?" Neha asked as soon as he started the engine.

"You were great. Your voice is really something."

"But I sound like all the others out there, right?"

Dominque sought the right words before saying, "well, the competition is tough; you sing in English. You live in France. Not everyone is bilingual."

The woman sighed, "I know, that why I'm not sure about signing."

"What, but you have a job?"

"Yeah, but Wes wants me to quit; he's convinced I can make it."

Dominque chuckled, "you're a doctor. He wants you to quit your stable job for an uncertainty."

"I told him the same thing, but at the same time, it's my dream."

"You're a talented doctor."

"Talent, I mean, I love saving lives, but it wasn't a vocation. I became a doctor because I could. It's that put-your-brains-to-good use type of vocation. If I sign with Wes, I couldㅡ."

"How did you guys meet?"

"It was in my second year. Wes's sister was in the same class as me. She heard me sing and she told her brother. So I auditioned."

"I see."

"Wes is cool. He's like a big brother. Always watching out for me."

"I doubt he sees thinks that way."

Neha flexed a brow, "and how does he see it according to you?"

"He likes you."

Neha chuckled and clapped her hands, "Dominque, you're crazy. He's ten years older than me."

"Didn't you listen to Aaliyah? Age ain't nothing but a number."

"Oh, please stop, Dominque."

"Why do you do that?"

"What?"

"Diminish the fact men are attracted to you," Dominque said, throwing a glance at her.

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"You put us in boxes, colleague, brother, landlords."

"Oh, Dominque, don't tell me you're pissed because I said that."

"No, I'm not, actually; yeah, you could have at least said I'm a friend."

"Dominque."

"That man is attracted to you and youㅡ."

Neha cocked a boomerang brow, "I what?"

"The attraction is mutual," Dominque finished.

"No, oh my, I can't believe you're making up all these theories. There's nothing between Wes and me. Why are you like this, your acting like some jealous boyfriend."

Silence.

"What, are you jealous?"

Curiosity pushed the woman to pull. Dominque didn't say a word.

"Pff, you never assume anything, do you? Do you like me?"

The man turned to glare at her.

"What, say something instead of trying to kill me with a stare. Play the barbaric Alpha or Tarzan ploy. Go on, say you're mine and all the candyfloss that goes with it."

Dominque shook his head in disbelief; the woman provoked him. Something told Dominque she wouldn't handle it if things indeed went down, "I can't because you're not ready to hear it."

"Are you sure, Dominque? Are you sure I'm not ready for such a declaration?"

The woman turned her gaze to the window. Despite the feud, they established certain elements concerning their ties, Neha hid her game well. She was well aware of what was going on between, but she preferred to pretend thought the man.

Why?

Dominque needed to know.

"Jashiri."

"Dominque, I'm not a fool," Neha said, jumping the gun, "I'm a lazy woman when it comes to love. If it's complicated, I can't; you're still licking your wounds. I'm a doctor, but I don't know how to mend hearts. What's happening between us is purely psychological. We see each other weekly. The context is particular, I understand. It's infatuation, and it will evaporate into thin air as quickly as it came. For the record, there's nothing between Wes and me. So please don't chew me out with your suppositions."

Once more, the woman impressed Dominque as she anticipated the question.

"Wow, that's brutal. So for you, all this is science? You don't think we're smart enough to analyze the situation."

"I don't see another explanation, and I doubt you have one."

The words were harsh, but Neha was honest. She said out loud what Dominque could only imagine expressing. For Dominque, it was an incredible strength she had. He found it admirable, and as awkward as the moment was, Neha's words made things easy.

Dominque suddenly felt ashamed. When was he going to stop getting a piggy bank when it came to saying things.