VOICE

For the first time, Dominque came at sunset. Paris in wintertime found itself in darkened skies from 5 pm.

The man wondered how his night slot at Neha's would be. Dominque smiled when he caught himself secretly and shamelessly, hoping Neha would cook. Her breakfasts made Dominque want to discover more of the woman's cuisine. The thought was an encouraging sign that showed his appetite was coming back.

Neha had a caught-out-there personality, and Dominque imagined her being a fire sign. Mr. Guiguet sent in the papers concerning the apartment. In Neha's application, Dominque had a copy of her ID. Neha was a Gemini, thus an air sign.

Meaning she was intelligent, funny, and attracted people to her. Dominque agreed with that. He did not agree with or see in her the infamous flirt nature and the undisclosed piece that made Geminis underachievers and airheads.

Yes, Dominque was a believer, and he also had aunts obsessed with the stars that taught him a thing or two about astrology, amongst other things.

Neha was orderly; what mattered now was her ascendant. Perhaps she had a Capricorn or Virgo ascendant. The two signs were known to be perfectionists and overachievers.

"Hi."

"Hi."

As always, the woman's expression was neutral. It left Dominque with an odd feeling once again. He found himself wishing the woman to be a little more enthralled. He did not expect her to be ecstatic, but still.

Had he lost that much of his sex appeal?

White tee, high waist jeans, and long grey cardigan, Neha's aura screamed cozy.

Dominque came to apply the treatment, change joints in the kitchen, and screw cupboard doors.

As usual, they separated ways when Dominque entered. Neha did not stick around to see what he was doing. Of course, she had things to do just as she did in the mornings.

Her timetable said work, and Dominque presumed it meant to study. The man began to apply the anti-humidity paint. He had finished two sides of the wall when the music started.

Dominque was a music aficionado he congratulated himself on having excellent knowledge, but the tune which played was unknown, and the voice his ears swept also had a 404 error-tag.

The man placed another stroke, but curiosity took over, and Dominque went down to identify the song. It appeared to come from Hye Ju's studio. Neha being present at all times, Dominque had no time to look about freely. He almost forgot the room.

He walked up to the slightly opened door and peeked in. Neha sat crossed legs with a guitar in her hands; the microphone hung in front of her lips. The woman sang and played.

Her voice was less perky and high but low-pitched. It had a jazzy feel when she began to add vibes to her vocals.

Dominque found himself tempted to classify her voice with all the new RNB singers, including HER, Ella Mai, Jorja Smith, SZA, and Neha, probably by imitating a few. Still, the beat brought a unique signature that helped one forget the iconic singers.

Dominque listened and waited for her to finish her song before making his presence known by clearing his throat. Where most would be startled and embarrassed, Neha simply put her guitar down and watched the man enter, "you sing extremely well."

She smiled, "I've got to put all these conservatory lessons my mom paid in use."

As expected, she was not one to accept a compliment with a simple thank you. Then again, Dominque could have shown how impressed he was.

"You went to the conservatory?"

"What do an Asian mom and an Indian mom have in common? They both believe their children are multi-talented robots destined to change the world as we know it. Conservatory, ballet school, tennis, swimming, etc., name it. I've done it."

"Wow, that's an intense childhood," Dominque said while he thought of Siwon. His son's timetable was more jammed-packed than his with the same activities.

"My mother realized she wasted money when she saw I couldn't dance to save my life. That I skipped all my sports lessons, and I preferred Kanye West to Bach."

"I see. So you do it for fun?" Dominque pursued as his gaze swept the familiar studio.

"Let's say it's a sanity check. I need this to feel alive. Music, songs, lyrics," Neha placed a hand on her heart, "they uplift me, I think I'd die without it."

A passionate one.

That is what doctor Moire said, here Neha shed some skin by showing some sensibility. Another woman came to mind, Kaede. She, too, had a soft spot behind her stern ways. Dominque would even say the woman was a marshmallow.

Was Neha cotton candy behind her glasses?