Chapter 8

"Hm, interesting," Y/N muttered to no one in particular, "I wasn't aware there were quests offered only at specific times."

In his hand was a small sheet of paper whose contents were written in messy red Japanese illuminated by the yellowish light emanating from the lamps around the guild. Most of the guild, at least in the canteen-reception area, had already cleared out as the majority of adventurers had already finished their dinners: as such the only other sounds besides himself that could be heard were the notice of waitresses moving about the room cleaning up used plates and mugs. 

However, that shouldn't be taken to mean that currently the only inhabitants of the tables of the canteen-reception area were the waitresses and other later eaters of the adventurers party. His own party had been camping out in one of the tables in the room for essentially the whole days, watching mostly with hungry eyes for someone to step up and nail into the board a quests whose easy difficulty promised abundant wealth.

However, as they were to learn, that was merely ideal as throughout the day never had something even remotely close to that happened. Usually people went to the board in order to accept, not put up, quests: as such, as time went on only the difficult or unprofitable quests were left behind for the taking. When the rare occasion that someone had put up a quest, it was usually far too difficult for them to accomplish (of course, that didn't stop some people to insist that they had the capabilities required to accept and complete the quest). The current quest-paper he was reading off involved a request for a group of adventurers to gather at a graveyard in order to help 'send wandering spirits to heaven'.

"What quest is that?" came a voice from behind. "Does it pay well? Does it?!"

"Is it?!" in response to his lack of reply to the initial question, a heavy force was applied on both his shoulders as if some overly enthusiastic individual was so keen on seeing the paper on his hand.

Turning around he say none other than the eccentric self-proclaimed 'goddess of water', Aqua. "No, not really," Y/N replied curtly, pushing the paper back to the board before pushing her off his shoulders. "It doesn't pay well, at all."  

"Argh! What is going on?! Why won't a well paying job just show up?!" she cried in frustration before entering a physically pitiful state of exaggerated pettiness. "We have been waiting here for a well-paying quest to show up for the whole day and none ever did!!"

Y/N simply stared down here disgusted before adding "We could've spent the time taking on smaller quests that were always offered here and at least made some eris in profit. But someone had to insist on waiting for an unrealistic task to show up."

"Hmph, who do you think I am?" she asked rhetorically, but the lack of reply caused her to explode into an answer of her own. "I am the exalted goddess of water, my efforts should only be spent on the most rewarding quests!"

Y/N merely sighed in response to her own narcissism. "Good news," he said aloud to no one in particular. "The only requirement of the quest is that we just need party members whom are capable of wielding magic."

"Then you are in luck to have such a powerful archwizard in your party," Megumin replied smugly from behind him. Turning to look he saw she was accompanied by Darkness.

"Well, we will have to wait in order to access that," Y/N snorted. 

"H-Haven't you already seen two demonstrations of my explosion magic?!" Megumin demanded. "How can you not consider me a mighty archwizard?!"

"Probably because you are pretty much useless after casting that spell," Y/N snorted in reply.

"What is the quest about anyways, Y/N?" asked Darkness. "Is it one that involves brutal combat with powerful monsters that will...punish our bodies significantly?" The second line was said in an aroused tone, a light flush upon her cheeks, and a withdrawn physical posture.