Chapter 4

The table they had found to have their breakfast was reasonably far away from the adventurous community of Axel, which occupied all of the seats and tables above the floor they were sitting on. Far too crowded to enjoy breakfast in peace with all the servant-maids running about refilling drinks and handing out meals in response to a never ending barrage of commands regarding nourishment. Here, one floor down, the peace and quiet he needed to execute a satisfactory breakfast could be found. And the food was good as well, the presence of the chicken-breakfast alongside the pleasure it brought was welcomed into his long under-fed stomach. He savoured the feeling of cool water hitting the back of his throat due to how amazingly fresh it was. Unlike the sickened water presented on the muddy battlefields of Russia whose outrageous quality always left a sour taste in his mouth.

"Hey, Y/N, what's in that bag they gave you?" Anna questioned, swinging her head back afterwards as the cup met her lips.

"Bag?" he inquired, requiring her to gesture to the little bag that hung from his waist. "Oh, this," he replied, slightly embarrassed he didn't notice. "I haven't opened it myself yet so I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to."

Anna placed the empty cup down on the dull wooden desk. "Well, now's a good time as any to find out, don't you think? I already opened mine, it has some things that will definitely be useful: such as first aid and some spare ammunition."

"Hm, I wonder why I didn't think of that before," Y/N muttered in amusement before removing the little black bag from his waist to rest it on the table. The little black bag took a rectangular-like shape, perhaps four inches wide and seven inches across, the little strap that held it to his waist was left messily across the table behind it: like a dead snake. He stared at the bag for an odd amount of time, the material that made up it's dark zip reflecting the little rays of sunlight that shone in from the window in the distance creating little motes of white light.

For some reason there seem to be a strong paradoxical urge that was tempting him to both unzip the bag to reveal its contents and simply go on ignorant on what it contained till it slipped out of conscious memory. He gritted his teeth to express the strange fear that had taken control over his body. Slowly, almost mechanically, he brought his hands up to clasp the bag with certain urgency before, in spite of all the underserved mental warnings his mind was issuing out, begin to unzip the bag.

Once the squeaking of the zip fell away and the bag laid split in half, the sight of a little red book caught his eye. It had no title or noticeable feature on its leather cover except for the little (but unmistakable) emblem of a swastika in black at the very center of the book. Curious, he picked the book up while thankfulness rose up within him because the strange compulsion earlier had dispersed completely from his psyche. 

The book was heavy in his hand, its sturdiness was a testament to the standard of quality and respect of which it had been crafted with. He looked up and turned away from its alluring cover of ruby red to find that Anna was just as interested in what contents the book held as he was. 

"Looks like some sort of diary," she suddenly said.

He gave a response that mimicked those of a choking man. "I'm sure the Veriningung wouldn't have spent so much money to print a book of such quality just so it could be my diary," he replied plainly.

Anna shrugged while wearing a lazy smile. "Who knows? We've both seen the Vereinigung do stranger things before. But we won't know unless we open the book, so let's have at it-"

"Maybe later," Y/N cut in. "I think there's more pressing matters to attend to," he said turning away from the desk to face the approach of two girls who were unknown to them. One was a blonde dressed in ceramic white armour with a dark bodysuit underneath. The other girl wore a rather revealing outfit that consisted of a grey bikini-like, short blue jeans, and a short green cape; all of which created a sense of attractive rogue-ness around her. "Hello," Y/N greeted stiffly.