Chapter 2

"Ah, sir...sir, are you awake?" a concerned voice called.

"Yeah...give me a moment to...adjust," he replied, slowly sitting up to rub his head. Its spiked with pain, his eyes opened before being immediately forced to retreat when terrible orange light lanced at them with bright fury.

He heard a sigh, perhaps in relief, using his left hand as a shield for his eyes; he started to catch a glimpse of his surroundings. Thin barks of brown rose up around and above him, their peaks blossomed into an umbrella of pale green leaves and small vein-like branches. He saw as the orange lghts fell through the little gaps in the leaves, giving all colours a redish wash. Leaves and other natural remnant laid all around him such as broken branches and twigs.

As he sat up, he felt his back ache with a dull pain that seemed to spread across every part of his back that left the support of the earth. Anna's form appeared next, she was leaning down from above, her shadow covered the top-half of his body. Her pale face had its chilled beauty illuminated lightly with a tint of orange light contrasting with the dark recesses of her smooth features. Her light blue eyes stared deeply into his.

"I, umm," she stuttered, looking away in embarrassment.

"Whatever," he sighed, getting up. His legs felt weak as a dull pain echoed within them. Then the heat began to take over, his outfit was one meant for a cool weather, with its coat-like design and heavy fabric. He felt as heat began to mount on his forehead and neck. "Do we happen to know where we landed?" he asked, drawing his Maschinenpistole 40 from his back.

Anna shrugged. "We are alive in a place that seems habitable, we can survey the area first." He nodded slightly, gesturing her to arm herself before the moved out of the forest. 

They pushed through bushes and tree branches as they followed the intensity of the light, intent on finding a better view of their immediate surroundings. Eventually, they crossed the very edge of the forest and found themselves on a rather tall hill, tall grass reached all the way up to their knees as the wind blew by making them wave against the setting sun. 

The two of them parted to opposite directions diagonally, their rifles armed. There didn't seem to be anything interesting, all around him was just he same plane of grass that seemingly stretched onto infinity. It seemed as if they had found themselves in a sort of endless grassland. Y/N slung his rifle back before withdrawing a pair of binoculars from one of his pockets to better survey the area.

After looking around for a bit, he was finally rewarded for his efforts. In the distance he saw a small gathering of little black stubs. All the way out in the horizon, he could vague make out shapes moving in and out of the gathering of the dark rectangles in the distance. It seemed to be a village.

He whistled to get Anna's attention, little shapes of black shot up from the immediate trees behind him, taking to the skies as birds. The took their time to climb down the slope of uneven rocks and creaks, occasionally one of them would misjudge the terrain causing them to be threatened with falling down the cliff and suffer certain death. Thankfully one of the perks of being a duo was the other could prevent such misfortune from striking.

Slowly but surely they made their way back to civilisation while the burning eye in the sky turned it gaze away from them plunging everything into darkness. Only the little shards of light offered by the stars and the glows of colours emanating from the village offered to be their guide.

Eventually they reached the very fringes of the village, its architecture took them by surprised. The buildings in their immediate proximity seemed to resemble the cottages of the old, pale brick walls with red roofs and all. Y/N spotted a little chimney emanating a little stream of smoke above one the houses at the very edge of the village until only the pale brown road walked alone. Stunned by the discovery, the two of them conversed quietly in swift encoded German, agreeing to approach the village with care, rearming themselves with the weapons hanging on their shoulders.