Chapter 5

The blacksmith was a powerful looking man, a dark mustache acted as a shadow below his large nose. His arms were abnormally large, bulges of knotted muscles formed tight hills of sweaty flesh, the apron he wore was an aged dirty grey piece of fabric that just managed to cover his large chest.  "I don't know why you want so many of these metal pellets, my boy," the blacksmith told him as he reviewed the bullet held between his right thumb and forefinger. Due to the smallness of the bullet in comparison to the blacksmith's fingers, Y/N was surprised that he was able to  "I just can't see what you would need them for."

"What I would use them for is not of your concern," he replied bluntly, annoyed with the unnecessary time it was taking for the blacksmith to accept his order. "What IS your concern, however, is whether you are able to make them in the quantity and quality I have asked for."

"You're an unfriendly fellow, aren't you?" the blacksmith said with an unsatisfied sigh. "But yes, I can make them in the quantity you are asking for weekly. But I would like a payment of about 100 eris paid weekly for each batch of pellets."

"That can be arranged," he replied briskly. "Do you need to keep one of them for reference?"

"Yes, that would be very helpful, my boy."

He then handed over a handful of eris towards the blacksmith's waiting, fat, gloved hands. "I shall collect today's batch alongside tomorrow's batch tomorrow," he said absently.

"Well enough," the blacksmith grunted. "Have a nice day."

Before he left, he asked the man politely for directions to the Adventurer's guild before bidding him well and setting off. However, before he even got out of the long maze of shops, people, and towering carriages, a squeaky female voice broke the atmosphere of white noise with its urgent announcement. "Emergency quest! Emergency quest!" was the message that seemed to freeze the city in time. As if to support the announcement, the sky seemed to have adopted a colour of impending doom while shopkeepers stopped arranging boxes, customers paused in their counting of money, people all around him stood in shocked silence, all eyes went to the source of the noise: a stone tower that stood as the monumental sentinel over Axel.

"All adventurers, please gather at the front gate at once," the announcement continued. "I repeat: all adventurers, please gather at the front gate at once!

A heavy bell was struck as fear seemed to begin to take the population by force. All around him he observed as the city entered a perceived lockdown as civilians shepherded their children into shelter while windows were closed as the streets were thrown into chaos as shopkeepers rushed to gather all of their stock as move indoors. As if to repopulate the deserting streets troops of adventurers of all kinds marched towards the gates in heavy unsynchronised strides.

Initially trying to escape from the wave of mobilising adventurers into free space, Y/N eventually relented and simply followed the current of the wave. Beyond the gates laid an expanse of short hills, everyone stood, not in any particular standard of order, but more of a disorganised group who stood slumped as an irregular group of strangers preparing for attempted cooperation in the coming task. What that task was, he wasn't sure, but he was leaning towards it being some sort of raid or invasion.

A pang of dissatisfaction attacked him as his eyes lit up in contempt for the apparent undisciplined nature of the adventurers, which was only to be expected seeing how most of them worked in small groups and as individuals. Why the city didn't establish its own army, for he had spotted no signs of garrison since his arrival, and simply use the adventurers as shock troops or militia units was beyond his understanding.