Chapter 14 : for better or for worse

Asuna POV

That night, Kirito and I slept without cuddling for the first time in a long time. We actually laid with our backs facing each other. The only reason I fell asleep was because of how tired the pregnancy makes me but I know for a fact that he didn't sleep at all.

We've grown so attached to each other that sleeping apart is basically foreign.

The next day —a week before our wedding— we simply stayed in an awkward aura for the entire morning.

I made breakfast for the both of us as usual but we just ate in silence.

He seemed deep in thought for the most of the time so I didn't want to interrupt him but I did want us to talk.

I assumed he simply wanted space so I tried my hardest to give him that but now I feel like that was the wrong choice.

I guess it's my fault we're like this anyway..

As of right now, I was laying down, ready to take another nap for the day.

But before I fell asleep, I decided to suck up and speak with him.

Somewhat..

———
Kazuto POV

I sat with my elbows propped on my legs and my chin rested on the back of my palms while I stared at the wall, deep in thought.

I hate being distant with Asuna.. I just want to wrap my arms around her, kiss her and tell her how much I love her but the mood.. the aura and everything just seems off.

She went for a nap about a half hour ago but suddenly she walked out the room and sat down a few feet from me.

Does she maybe want to talk? But she's so far away.

Asuna and I always sit glued next to each other, this space was basically alien to me. I miss her warmth.

I glanced up at her for a quick second before I butt scooted a little closer to her.

Fuck was that weird? That was probably weird..

I sat there with my eyes squinted shut as I mentally cursed myself for what I did all up until I felt movement and saw that she actually shifted a bit closer to me.

A few minutes passed before I scooted closer to her again and she returned the action. We kept going until we were both right next to each other, my leg rubbing against hers and our shoulders touching.

I looked across at her and she looked up at me, keeping that eye contact for a few seconds. Then, we both burst into laughter at how childish that previous 'interaction' was.

The first proper laugh we shared in a while. I think this laugh was our realization that we both wanted to talk to each other but thought that the other needed space.. and as our relationship goes, we figured that out by literally scooting closer to each other as if it were a first date.

I should've just fake yawned and rested my arm around her.

She continued to giggle making my heart melt completely. I grabbed her hand then intertwined our fingers as her giggles softened while we remade eye contact.