Chapter 9: And The Storm

"Okay…. so what gives?” Technic asked his brother after he sat down on their lunch table.

“What gives, what?” Techno was peacefully eating his lunch when his brother comes marching in with a scowl on his face.

“Don’t give me that. I went to meet with Kengkla earlier because he wasn’t answering any of my calls or messages. And guess what? My guy didn’t want to talk to me and simply walked away” Techno exhaled and inhaled, dramatically at that if you asked Techno, before adding, “What did you do this time?”

“How is that even my problem? Didn’t it occur to you that maybe he just really didn’t want to talk with your annoying ass?” Techno would have been sympathetic if only he had any clue of what his brother was talking about.

“Listen here P’, the only times Kengkla doesn’t talk to me is when I double dip my nuggets in his sauce or when you somehow manage to piss him off. Remember when you broke up? Yeah”

Technic just knows where to hit Techno doesn’t he?

“Now the last time we met we were cool and I didn’t remember double dipping in his sauce then, then the problem must be you”

Techno doesn’t know if he should be impressed with his brother’s deduction skills. But he wouldn’t. He honestly isn’t involved in this. This time at least.

“Calm down. I really haven’t done anything. I haven’t even met him today yet. When I came back to our room this morning, he was already gone”

And it is true. Techno spent the rest of his weekend at home. He messaged Kengla about this, but he didn’t get any reply. Not that he was expecting any anyway when they’ve just started taking again. He wasn’t just imagining it right? Kengkla was nice to him again. He was talking to him again. He ate with him. They talked like the previous years didn’t happen.

Techno thought that when he comes back to the dorm everything would be fine. They can talk about it or not, whatever it is. But they were really okay, last Techno checked. Right?

Wrong!

When Kengkla came back later that evening, he hadn’t uttered a word towards the older. Not even a glance. It’s as if Techno wasn’t even in the room.

What happened? How did we come back to this again? Why isn’t he talking to me.

Look at me! Look at me! Please.

“Have you had dinner?” Techno tried asking. Because they’re not going back to not talking again. Come on! He’s the older one he’s got to make the first move. This time.

He hadn’t really noticed it at first. How could he? This was his little brother’s best friend. An innocent little kid that seems to handle his annoying ass of a brother just fine. This little guy must have a patience of a saint.

Kengkla, his little brother’s best friend that always wears an innocent smile. His hair a little messy. But his uniform and shoes have never been untidy. He was the total opposite of Technic. How the two became best of friends was a mystery to him.

He really hadn’t notice it. When Kengkla became a consistent presence, not just in school but even at home. Well of course it makes sense since he’s best friends with Technic. But when he started to hang around Techno even without Technic. When he started asking Techno to go with him to help him buy gifts - for his mom, dad, a cousin, a classmate. Techno even wondered how many people does Kengkla know? Why are their birthdays very close to each other? Coincidence perhaps.

Techno should have been suspicious then. But how could he? When he enjoyed every moments with the younger. He should have really seen it coming.