Chapter 115

BREN

Everything had turned to shit.

I asked the universe for this one thing to go right, and it descended into chaos the first chance it got. Now, I am scrambling to keep everyone alive. Please, let everyone be alive. I already lost one person, and I was scared of how many we were going to lose.

We turned a corner, and we lost sight of the honcho. We drove for five, maybe ten minutes until we reached the Honda Civic where Russell had used to escape, but it had crashed in front of a large sign in front of a building called Pennsylvania Game Commission Headquarters.

"Hey, Pete! I see their car!" Haskell hollered down. "It doesn't look like anyone's inside."

"We're not stopping," Peter said.

"But, Pete. They could still be alive."

"We're not stopping," he said. "We have no room."

We drove on. Just like Haskell said, the Honda Civic was empty. No doubt Russell and the others had fled south, hopefully moving toward the first meeting point. We couldn't stop looking for them, not when Time wasn't on our side.

Aria tapped me on the shoulder. "What now?"

"Cemetery. First meeting point."

Aria nodded. "About Sarah..."

"I'm sorry. It had to be done."

"I know. It's just that..." She took a deep breath and shook her head. "Never mind."

I left her alone to her grief. I had no inkling of how close she was with Sarah, so I'm just going to let her be. The other women were already wary of me after I killed her in front of them. I could see it in their eyes, but at least Aria seemed to understand. She was already dead once that vector bit her. Maybe the women did know that fact, only they needed time to process that.

"Can you grab the map?" Peter asked me. I did what he said. "What's the next intersection?"

I looked at the city map and followed where we were, finding Elmerton Avenue. "Take a left into State Farm Road. It leads into Edgemont Road, then we head south. The cemetery is just off the road."

"Yeah, yeah, I see the sign." And Peter turned left into the street, as mentioned earlier.

We were surrounded by trees again, but I reminded myself that it's just an illusion. We were still smacked dab in the middle of the city, surrounded by dozens of suburbs, factories, commercial districts, and parks just beyond those trees. We passed a broken down car at the side of the road, and two women tried to hail us to stop. We kept driving.

I placed Sarah's necklace around my neck.

Logan. You better fucking make it.

My heart was still hammering against my ribcage; my adrenaline never wavering.

If you don't, I'm going to lose myself.

I better see you again.

For my sake.

——

LOGAN

"I can't get out!" Monica tugged on the seatbelt. "I'm stuck!"