Chapter 43

I told Logan to cruise closer to the Manhattan side of the river instead of on New Jersey, fearing that the army would spot us. But as I scanned the other shore, there was no military activity whatsoever. The cities of Jersey and Union up to North Bergen were in chaos, the infection clearly spreading fast beyond the quarantined Manhattan.

"I still think we should head out to sea and sail south," said Yousef.

I turned and showed him the map of the lower bay, pointing to the narrow strait where Verazzano-Narrows Bridge was, a length of about two-and-a-half miles.

"If a ship or a boat this size gets out, it'll get spotted right away by anyone who's waiting out on the bay or with a good long-range radar detector. The Navy could blow us up," I said. I turned to Logan. "A ship this size will have radar reflectors, right?"

Logan nodded. "Yep. Big ones. This isn't a stealth boat; I mean, look at it. It's built for luxury if they see us: Boom. Drone strike."

"Or we'll get arrested," Aria suggested.

"And that's better? I'm not going to jail just to have a needle stuck up my ass. No 'effing way." Miguel flinched and turned to Henry, added, "Sorry, little guy. Cover your ears the next time I speak."

"I'm used to it," Henry mumbled softly.

"In any case," I interrupted, "more people will spot us upriver. There are hills and cliffs, and basically, more vantage points against us. But based on the broadcast, everything below I-88 is currently being evacuated, which means the military will be focused on the roads. They can't have all their resources drawn to the river. They have to patrol the entire Northeastern seaboard."

"So, what you're saying is, they needed a choke point?" Logan asked.

I nodded. "The choke point of Hudson River, for anyone who's trying to get out that way, like us, is the city of Albany." I then pointed to the city of Albany on the state map.

"Being the state capital, it's where DC and the army will take a foothold to control the region. That's where the governor will place a lot of his troops and resources to combat this outbreak. And This is our way out. See anything that's connected to it?"

Logan leaned closer. "I-88."

"I-88 runs through Albany. The army will use the interstate as a road to shuttle troops, maybe resources, and supplies. Plus, Albany has an international airport. My guess? They could also be transporting evacuees to safe zones out west. Albany also has most of all major highways and interstate converging through the city."

"And Felipe and I can hop a plane to France," Margot said, nodding.

I smiled. "And a way back to Oregon. Maybe even to Fort Wayne, Indiana," I said, looking at Luke and Yousef for the latter, knowing that's where they came from.

I continued, "Once we get closer to the city, or any of the surrounding areas, expect a ton of military presence. I mean, look at where the city is situated. It covers all traffic coming from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and Rhode Island, three of the four states that are currently under Martial Law. They'll be heavily watching those roads. We'll anchor somewhere downriver on a small town, ditch the boat, and drive our way up from the west side of the river to Albany and the airport."

I looked at the map and the smaller towns scattered near the Hudson River. A lot of the folks living around there might not have any idea of the horrors waiting downriver. I glanced at my shotgun, knowing that I might have to point it to a living person just so that I could steal what they have.

"I spot a problem," said Luke, frowning. "We have to pass through seven bridges from this point on. All of them could have a ton of soldiers. If the army is trying to block travel from New England to the rest of the country, they'll be watching those bridges like a hawk."