Chapter 133

LOGAN

"Did you all hear that?" Kenny asked.

Logan opened his eyes and saw Kenny looking out the floor-length windows, peering through the deluge of rain falling over the car dealership's parking lot. Go back to sleep, Kenny.

"It's just thunder," Mishka said, sitting on his sleeping bag behind the desk counter, hidden from view. Beside him, Alfie was fast asleep.

"No, I swear. It doesn't sound like thunder. More like thousands of metal falling at the same time..."

"That's thunder," Mishka waved him off and curled back to bed. He had donned a studded leather armor rather than the steel plate he wore last, explaining that since they were now on the road and thereby fully exposed to all kinds of threats. He needed armor that was light and able to protect himself from the enemies of their quest...whatever that was. His steel armor was reserved for defending, so he left them inside his van. "Now get away from the window before those things see you."

Sighing, Kenny walked back to where Logan sat. "Sorry if I distracted your nap, lover boy," Kenny said.

"No, not at all," Logan groaned and closed his eyes again, trying to count from one to one hundred, but it had been three hours now, and he still couldn't fall asleep. The storm wasn't helping. Ever since he watched that cheesy-CGI disaster movie where a group of people was being hunted and electrocuted by a killer sentient lightning storm, he had a phobia for stormy nights like these. Never let a seven-year-old watch a movie that would traumatize them for life.

Only a different monster hunts us now.

"Can't sleep?" Kenny asked.

"You, too?"

"Yeah."

Logan turned to look at him. "Scared?"

"Oh, yes. Very."

"You get used to it."

"Says you. I don't know how you all make it so...casual like they are just part of nature, you know? Like they've existed for thousands of years next to lions or cows or something. It makes me feel weird how aloof you guys are when you kill them. They used to be people."

"Ah, ignorance is bliss."

"It doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Then what's the real reason you came scouting with us, Kenny? And don't say it's because of your charms. Honest answers only."

Kenny chuckled. "Have you seen me? Lots of people nowadays underestimate me because of my stature. I wanted to help people form the opinion that they're four-foot-fucking wrong. Plus, I need to learn about our new world. Luke Skywalker didn't become a Master Jedi and saved the galaxy because he stayed on his uncle's farm."

"Well, you were a badass out there. Not Jedi level, but still a badass."

"Oh, you noticed that little detail after me shitting bricks?" Kenny smirked. "But thanks. Y'all alright yourself."

Scrapes of boots echoed from behind the hallway, and Jun walked into the room. Logan grabbed the rifle next to him, probably his turn for watch duty, but he stopped midway when he saw Jun's pale complexion, brows furrowed with worry. He still held his binoculars tightly in one hand.

"Something wrong?" Logan asked.

Jun looked up and met his gaze. "I saw...an accident. In the park, we passed by. Saw it all on the roof."