1.20

[C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y]
I Know Something You Don't

☆☆☆

KNOWING THAT BELLAMY WAS no longer in the camp made Roseline realize that she actually had a chance at figuring out what the hell was up with the Grounder and the drawing from his notebook. It also made it super easy knowing that Clarke was gone for she could now wander around camp all she wanted without worrying to help her with anything she needed. All she had to do was distract Nathan long enough to where she could get up there. Nathan and she may have been friends but Nathan was loyal to Bellamy when it came to his job.

It was sheer luck that she saw Nathan go into the radio tent to go talk to someone from the Ark, giving her the perfect opportunity to sneak up and have a conversation with the Grounder. She waited a moment, as to not look suspicious, then she scampered into the drop-ship and up the ladders to the top, a mischievous grin perched on her lips.

When she opened the hatch, she was surprised to see Octavia in the room with the Grounder. She instantly turned around but breathed a sigh of relief when she realized who it was. Meanwhile, Roseline was cursing herself for forgetting that Octavia had connections to the Grounder as well.

"Oh, good, Rose, it's just you," she smiled and ushered her up. Roseline climbed up and closed the latch before walking over to the pair. 

"Why are you up here? You could get in trouble," Roseline questioned with her arms crossed. 

"I could say the same for you, I'm not the only one who's banned from up here." Octavia mimicked her pose, a dirty rag still in her hand. 

Roseline dropped the act and slouched her shoulders. "Okay, fine. I wanted to see if he could talk to me, like actually talk."

Octavia suddenly got defensive in her stance and her eyes were wide. "What, uh, what makes you think he can talk?"

Roseline adopted the same stance as her, along with the same wide eyes. "I, uh, I just think that he would be more inclined to speak with someone who maybe doesn't want him dead?" Her voice squeaked at the end and she began to twirl a piece of hair.

Octavia, seeing Roseline twirl her hair, began to play with her hair as well. "Yeah, um, that totally makes sense."

The two girls stared at each other for a moment, then their eyes wandered to the Grounder who was only staring at Octavia. Roseline watched the silent interaction between the two and slowly began to realize that something was up with them. They looked like they were having a silent conversation yet the Grounder isn't supposed to know English.

Before Roseline could confront the two, the hatch opened up to reveal Nathan with an annoyed look on his face. "Man, you guys are the only two people who aren't allowed up here. Get out!"

"Nathan, relax! we were just trying to clean him up a little!" Roseline pleaded with a smile. 

Nathan rolled his eyes. "You may be my friend, but I'm way more scared of Bellamy. Now, get out before I give that guy the beating I've been itching to give."

Octavia and Roseline both put their hands up to surrender. "Okay, okay! We get it, we're leaving."

Reluctantly, the two girls made their way back down the ladders and back outside in the brisk forest air. They stood still for a moment, wondering what to do now that their plans got ruined. Roseline turned to look at Octavia and the younger girl did the same.

"You know something, don't you?" Roseline questioned with a low voice. Octavia's cheeks went pink as she bit her lip and dragged her to a quiet and secluded part of camp.