1.07

[C H A P T E R  S E V E N]
Life is Unfair

☆ ☆ ☆

ROSELINE'S FIRST TWO DAYS ON Earth were nothing to what she expected. Though her expectations weren't high to begin with, she still had better hopes than the ones she had received. With Jasper being speared and Bellamy almost getting mauled by a panther (she had made an educated guess on what exactly it was), Roseline was ready to call it quits and give up on the glamorous idea of Earth. She had to remind herself that coming to Earth was a dream only few could achieve and that her parents would be ecstatic to know that she had survived her first day.

The thought of her parents ripped a hole in her chest. She wondered if her mother and father were thinking of her, missing her like she was with them. Roseline had never experienced this sort of loss before, she had always been happy. She never had a best friend to lose, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, or even a grandparent. Her whole life had been nothing but average. But now with Grounders out for blood and radiation-amped creatures scouring for their next meal, Roseline's life was soaring out of the ordinary.

Walking out of the drop-ship, the scientist-to-be glanced around, wondering what she should do now. She hated the feeling of not being useful to anyone. Her caramel brown eyes spotted a group of four campers by the exit of the wall. Seeing that Nathan and Bellamy were among them, Roseline meandered over with nothing better to do.

"What are you guys doing?" she asked, taking notice that the team was packing up bags with food and supplies.

"Packing," Murphy glared as he continued.

"Oh, well, where are you going?" she directed the question to Nathan instead.

"Out," Bellamy said curtly before Nathan could respond.

"Why?" she questioned curiously.

"Food and water," the other boy, Atom she believed, replied. Roseline shifted her feet and fiddled her fingers.

"Can I come with?"

Murphy laughed and shook his head. "We'll pass, thanks."

The girl frowned. "But, I know everything about Earth and the plants, and what's safe to eat and what's not, and how to track and --"

"I thought you were supposed to be with the other guys, saving that kid who got speared," Murphy interrupted her frenzy of words.

Blotches of pink painted themselves on Roseline's cheeks.

"Oh, well, they said I could take a break," she trailed off and Bellamy gave her a quizzical look.

"Why?"

The girl's pink cheeks became bright red.

"I think I gave them too many fun facts..." Roseline bit her lip as the group roared with laughter.

"Okay, wait," Murphy held up his hand, still cackling. "So you're telling me that you got kicked out of the privileged party because you were too annoying?"

"I wouldn't put it like that..."

"Alright, I'll tell you what," Bellamy started. "you can come with us if you can tell us a fun fact."

"Okay, what do you wanna know?"

Murphy snickered as he packed his bag to the brim. "The fastest way to leave us alone."

Roseline ignored the boy's rude comment and squared her shoulders. "Fun fact: socially isolated people have a twenty-six percent greater risk of dying."