1.05

[C H A P T E R  F I V E]
Facing Fears

☆☆☆

IT WAS SHEER LUCK THAT the group had somehow managed to escape the safety of the rocks and run back into the dangerous forest without being harmed by the terrifying thing hunting them. They all took turns pulling each other by the arms to sprint faster, for none of them could bare to lose another person to the deadly creatures. Roseline could hardly breathe from the anxiety and speed she was going, but nevertheless she persisted, keeping her eyes trained on Clarke's wild hair. She knew that if she were to stop now, she would have stood frozen on the spot, too scared to move again.

Behind her, she heard a thump followed by the others calling for Monty to get up. Reluctantly, Roseline stopped too and when she turned around, she wished she had kept going. Staring Monty directly in the face was the skull of something that seemed to be once human, but judging by the long head and wide cheekbones, Roseline guessed that the radiation had a part in the deformities. All the books and pictures she had read would have never prepared her for the truths and realities of the Earth. Her blood felt cold, and seeing the others' reactions, they felt the same way. The team couldn't dwell on it too long though, for a loud cry echoed through the menacing trees. 

"Jasper," they whispered in unison before running back to the river. Roseline's feet began to solidify and sink into the ground, but before she could collapse, Octavia grabbed her arm and pulled her along with the others. 

Reaching the river, they peered through the leaves of trees and were shocked to see that Jasper's body had disappeared from its original spot against a stump. Roseline searched the trees in a frenzy to spot any of the people that speared Jasper, but her gut knew that they were long gone with both Jasper and the teams' moral.

"He was right there," Monty whispered, shaking his head with confusion. "Where did he go?"

"They took him," Clarke said, voicing everyone's fears. 

"We are so screwed," Octavia muttered.

***

They could hear the camp before they saw the commotion of wild and reckless teenagers running about. Roseline had never been more grateful to hear loud shouting and questionable drumming on barrels. She sighed happily, adjusting the arm she had on Octavia's shoulder to better comfort the pair (Halfway back, Octavia began to slow down, and Roseline slowed down as well to help her out, still guilty with the river incident). The one thing that was off about the whole situation was the fact that the shouting coming from the delinquents was, "Fight! Fight! Fight!" Knowing that couldn't be a good sign, the team hurried down the hill to see what was going on. 

Upon seeing Wells with a knife against Murphy's throat, Clarke rushed to the pair.

"Wells! Let him go!" 

Reluctantly, Wells obliged, and Bellamy had to restrain Murphy from going at him again. Seeing Bellamy without his hair slicked back was incredibly odd for Roseline, but she thought the wild curls suited him better, so she didn't complain. It still didn't stop her from staring at his hair a little longer than necessary. 

"Octavia! Are you alright?" Bellamy called, taking Octavia from her arms and breaking Roseline's trance. The siblings hugged, and Octavia gave a muffled "Yeah" from his shoulder. Letting go, the older Blake turned to the others.

"Where's the food?" 

Everyone was silent. Roseline averted her eyes as to not meet Bellamy's demanding ones.