1.10

[C H A P T E R  T E N]
Power Hungry

☆☆☆

IT HAD BEEN FOUR DAYS SINCE Wells was killed. His body was found outside the wall with a stab wound to the throat and two missing fingers. The funeral was very small since no one really liked him. Roseline figured that Wells would've been just fine with that. He probably just wanted his friends there anyway. Clarke was taking his death the hardest which was completely reasonable. Roseline had heard from Finn that both her and Wells made up only hours before he was stabbed. 

Roseline wasn't taking it well either. She was a lot quieter when she would talk to people, and everyone else was extremely on edge due to that. Roseline didn't really mind the awkward and uneasy stares though. Her mind was solely fixed on the fact that Earth really wasn't as safe as she had pictured. The thought of Grounders out to kill them had caused Roseline to stay up all night, jumping at every noise she heard outside of her tent. At one point, Roseline was so tired that while trying to jam a large chunk of wood into the wall, she almost fell over from the exhaustion. Bellamy then helped her back on her feet and ordered her to take a nap and not come back out until she felt better.

She ended up sleeping for seventeen hours straight. 

"Hey, Rose, you good?" a boy named Tim asked, breaking Roseline out of her trance. Looking over at him, she nodded and gave a smile. 

"Yeah, sorry," she said, focusing back on the task at hand. Her, Tim, and some other girl she didn't know the name of were creating weapons from the rubble of the drop-ship landing. Roseline didn't really get involved with actually making the weapons, but she did give out suggestions and snatched up random parts that they could use for said weapons. Though, she wasn't really into the job in the first place. Her mind and eyes kept wandering to more interesting things around the camp. At one point she ended up watching Murphy yell at some kid for ten minutes just because his knot-tying skills were terrible.

Seeing him belittle the others made her blood boil, but she stayed put. The pair hadn't spoken since their fight, and Bellamy made sure of it. He had told Roseline to keep her distance and he would make sure that Murphy did the same. For the most part, that plan worked, but sometimes they would accidentally walk into the same tent and the air around them grew tense. Neither of them would say anything as they quickly grabbed what they needed and left before either of them said something that they would regret. 

"Hey!" Murphy's voice rang through her ears. Thinking he was talking to her, Roseline's heart dropped to her feet. She then realized that he was calling out to a boy who had dropped a log out of exhaustion. 

"You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around and wait for us to finish the wall?" Murphy continued to the boy, Connor, she thought. "Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" He pointed at a girl who looked no older than thirteen. 

Roseline knew the girl's name was Charlotte, but she didn't know much else about her. The only thing she did know was that Bellamy had taken a liking to her after coming back from the hunting trip. She thought it was sweet that he was so kind to her, yet still treated her like an adult. Roseline knew that most of the people here would've dismissed her purely because she was young. She wondered if that was how he treated Octavia when she was younger as well. 

"I just need some water, okay? Then I'll be fine," Connor assured, struggling to catch his breath. 

"Murphy," Bellamy said, walking over to the two boys. "Get this guy some water."

Murphy reluctantly nodded before trudging off, leaving Bellamy with Connor and Charlotte.

"You got this?" Bellamy asked the small girl with a serious tone. Charlotte quickly dropped her rope and went to go and lift up the heavy log by herself. As she was lifting, Bellamy grinned and bent down to help her.