𝐈

September 1st.

The rough, dark blue cushions creak and scratch her thighs as she leans onto them, sitting down after hoisting her carry-on up to the shelf situated above her.
Y/n takes a deep breath before looking around the all too familiar compartment, feeling the almost stuffy air flood her lungs as she inhales, rushing out of them as she exhales, bringing her at ease slightly.
The hufflepuff definitely needs this new found rest as the past year was certainly— action packed.

Voldemort has been confirmed to be still alive and well, it's a fresh start for him, A chance for him to take over the entire world- not just the wizarding world.

Y/n's having trouble believing people now days.
Y/n's parents were murdered for information about the Potters by a couple of death eaters, ordered by you know who.
Her grandmother told her they ransacked the house- tore it apart little by little, destroying every part of the life she'd known as an infant.

y/n was just an 18 month old, a baby who had just learned to walk, not being able to do anything for herself. her grandparents took her in after that.

her grandfather passed away when she was five, leaving her with only her elderly grandmother.
She fears she can't trust anyone anymore, they might turn to the dark side and betray her.
she has barely anybody anymore— well anyone except him.

Her best friend. Neville Longbottom.
She'd been friends with him since second year.
Y/n is positive that he would never join you know who.
Just the way he walks, slightly hunching over everyone, trying to not be seen- so keen to avoid conflict.
the way he talks to her nervously, flushing instantly as she calls out his name.
the way he smiles at her, the lines on his face as he stretches the muscles of his mouth, his cheeks making perfect, squish-able, rosy, skin rise into lumps just below his cheekbones.
The way he cares about everything and everyone, making sure to ask if they're ok when they seem down or distraught, moving animals away from danger, taking such exquisite care of his plants.
No one else does this, not that y/n would notice, she only sees Neville.

Y/n has had a fascination for Neville since 4th year. They had been close friends since 3rd year but she started looking at him differently when he matured a bit, taking things a little more seriously.
when he felt like he could trust her, he gave her the first gift she's ever gotten from a friend.
A plant.

He had gifted her aconite, a popular ingredient in the wolfsbane potion and the wideye potion. The venom colored foliage, sticking up to a curl
before each violently purple bud.
a calcified, red terra cotta pot paired with the herb.

She was astonished someone would ever give her something of the sort, especially as she's never expressed her interest in plants, except with him.
She liked the idea of being out in nature, being surrounded with only her pure thoughts, cleansed by the fresh air and the raw earth.

If she could bring nature into her indoor life, that was the best possible situation, as it was seen as vile to society to live outside, being able to breath in the wonderful crisp, filtered air every morning.
She often wondered back then if anyone else thought as she did, wanting to abandon everything she's been taught, being free of what everyone has told her, every negative being, everything she's ever been judged on, maybe she could forget it.

She thought people who didn't enjoy being in nature had some anger they hadn't dealt with, or maybe they just wanted to seem cool, denying their need for Mother Earth.

She felt safe with Neville, like he'd never judge her.
She felt as if he understood her, urged to breath that same air she did, To be cleansed from deep within the earth. Be buried and secure in its core, no worry in sight.