𝐈𝐕

October 19th.
Thousands of faded colored books surround Neville and y/n as they study in the library, the dry and almost cracked leather flying, accompanied by the parchment, around their heads by madam Pinces' command; trying to redirect them to their correct spot in the warm color and feeling library. Neville and y/n's quills working fast and pages of their textbooks being flipped.

their busy eyes glued to the withered looking scribbles on textbooks as they carefully and quickly glance over the material on the yellowing and stained parchment, their eyes only ripping away from the paragraphs written to look at the other person, both longing for the comfort of one anothers' eye contact.

around them, scrawny fifth years rush around the, now busy, library to prepare for their O.W.L.S. Later in the year. Most of them sitting down at the prepared desks, quills set up with a quaint bottle of ink; ready for the nip to be dipped in the opaque liquid. All of the 5th years that aren't situated at a desk desperately looking around, searching as they almost break into a run hunting down the correct book. Nearly sweating from the vague description of the exams from the teachers- further sweating From older students messing with them; telling them they have to jump into the black lake and ring up some grindylows for Defense Against The Dark Arts.

Y/n turns a page in her charms book, pinching the page in with her fingertips so she can reference the words or to go back and read it once more. a smooth diagonal lip on the page as the edge reaches in, almost pointing to the text.

She carefully picks up her quill from its spot situated in between her notebook and Neville's workspace. her nails softly touching the staff of the writing utensil as she grips onto it, copying  something down, she dips the nib of her quill into a little bottle of the dark, runny, black ink. Neville's eyes following her movements as she works; she bites her lip as she focuses intently on the article before her, the ink on the tip of her quill coming dangerously close to dripping on ancient textbook- her wand sitting on the desk, eagerly waiting for y/n to grab it and mutter a cleaning spell if she's most unfortunate to spill the said ink. Neville watches intently, his eyes completely ignoring the writing on his own study-work as he peeks at her through his eyelashes, his eyes peering back to his book when y/n moves a little too much- Neville scared she'll catch him staring.

Y/n ponders at her notes, leaning back to observe and read over her somewhat messy handwriting. looking at her textbook, she sighs before sighing deep from her chest and slumping her shoulders, scratching out her initial scribbles in her notes of the material on her textbook.

amidst her cogitating, She remembers when she was in potions class, with Professor Slughorn. he mentioned a Christmas party he was going to host on the twentieth of December- apparently it was tradition for whenever he was teaching at Hogwarts. he invited the entirety of the Slugclub, and their dates to the formal event.

Y/n daydreamed about going with Neville- even if it was just as friends. Just her and him, dressed up all fancy, attending an event together- together. she had to ask him before anyone else did, before anyone else scooped him up.

She sticks her quill behind her ear, the feather trapped between her helix and head-restraining her hair.

"Say.. Neville- did you hear about Slughorn's Christmas party?" She questions, her eyes hesitantly roaming the parchment in front of her. The paper of her textbooks crinkling as her hands get comfortable on top of the school books. She can feel her jaw creaking as she talks, nervously.

Neville nods, his hair bouncing slightly as he turns his head up From his book to make eye contact with her; despite his complete attention being brought to her as soon as the first word left her mouth. Y/n's eyes don't look up from her parchment till after she's done talking, a curious and sweet look on her face- her blushed face as she turns to observe him.