couples therapy

we stare into each other's eyes through a stainless steel ring cupped between our fingers. our eyes are black and bleed dark ink blots, spilling over waterlines. the rivermouths touch, melt- first contact, first in a long, long time.

i think... i see you. i see into your brain, i see it squirming in the cavity of your skull, neurons throttling, the whole jelly mass shivering to step out of stasis, to yell at the stars and smash against the walls of your head in overdue teenage rebellion. it pulses and puckers itself, creasing more wrinkles into its folds. you're trying to get smart, get big. i see the head of a boy, swelling itself with water, but drowning in an ocean of overthinking. i see a mind stuffed with strings of words ripped from excerpts of different classical and political books from the shelf in your room, in crazy loops and spirals, but not a pearl of an original thought. i see mirages of human faces, people you pit yourself against in the race for wisdom. they ebb and circle around ripples of shock and fear, from the epicentre of your skull- noses lifted high, lips curled into toothy snarls, laughter floating from their lips. it grates my eardrums- "ha! ha! ha!"- and everything goes black, so i shut off the connection and blink myself back into my own world, the real world.

i look at your face and try to read your expression. your brows aren't furrowed in concentration, your lips aren't parted in surprise, your eyes aren't glossing up with sympathetic tears from what you saw in me. your eyes look into mine, black and true, and i can't tell what your reaction is to what you saw in me.