~ Heart-to-Heart ~

Murugan sat there leisurely leaning on the well-cushioned sofa in the spacious air-conditioned hall of his home, adoring his little girl who had now turned into a beautiful woman and was also currently in the brink of taking a major leap in her life. Marriage, certainly, is a crucial step in an individual's life. Just a week away for her big day, he saw his anxious daughter wearing her jhumkas and bangles with a crotchety look on her face, grumbling something incoherent inaudible to him.

Murugan cleared his throat to get her attention for which Mullai reciprocated him with an out-and-out stern stare, before she got back to arranging her bangles in a pattern. It made him chuckle seeing his 26 year old daughter turning into a fuzzy kid in the past one hour, "ammadi Mulla... mogatha ippadi vechukitu nee evalo thaan antha valayala maathi maathi pottalum oru prayojanamum illa ma...".

Mullai pushed the whole set clumsily into her hands, not bothered anymore how properly arranged they were and settled closer to her dad, hugging his arm and spoke resting her head on his shoulder, "appa... ippa edhuku pa thideernu avaru enna paakanum nu solraaru... kalyanatha oru vaarathula vechutu... athuvum varathuku oru mannerathuku munnadi inform panna eppadi... ivalo naal veetla ellarum paatha podhum nu thaana sonnaru nu sonneenga... ponnu paakuraku kooda varalaye avaru... enaku oru maari pada pada nu iruku pa...".

Murugan caressed her head, smiling at her childish fear even after being known for her boldness throughout her life and career, "yen ma... maapilai kooda pesa enna ma thayakam unaku... oru vaarathula kalyanatha vechutu ippadiya pesu vaanga... avaru unkitta kettutu eppo varathunu solla sonnaru nee work mudichutu vandhu tired ah irupa nu... naan thaan paravala nu innike vara sonnen...".

Mullai's eyes widened hearing her father's words. Oh! So he had really thought so much and was not someone insensitive as she had imagined him to be. The fact that he had refused to come to see her with his family had got on her nerves in the very beginning. That itself was reason enough for her to say no to this alliance. But both her father and mother had loved him beyond any baseless vengeance of hers could persuade them to let go of him. But she had her revenge by refusing to talk to him on the phone since the time their wedding was confirmed.

The doorbell rang and the next second she ran towards the kitchen even before her brain could warn her that the person outside the door would have a clear view of what's happening in the hall. Mullai hit her forehead upon realising the man from whose sight she ran away from would have seen it with a tinge of pride of making her nervous even before they met in person. Don't all men have that manly pride when they gouge out such a reaction from their girl. She could hear faintly the customary welcoming and exchange of pleasantries between her parents and him. His voice, though muffled, kind of soothed her throbbing heart. 'Oh! Stop admiring him already, idiot', her mind popped a warning.

She peeped slightly through the kitchen door and he sat there warmly smiling at her parents, his profile turned in an angle to give her a perfect view of him. His lilac shirt and his white vesti made him look simple, dapper and handsome. She had a photograph of him but still the real him was a whole lot better. While she was getting into details, the live bomb of her life made her way trotting to him all excited and full of beans, her voice hitting Mullai's eardrum crystal clear unlike the others, "mama vaanga vaanga... you look extra handsome today... enna kaaranam... enga akka va paaka special preparation pola...".

He smiled a not-too-shy yet a picture-perfect smile, his cheeks attaining a slight red shade and it made Mullai's lips curve up on its own. He shook his head with the smile still lingering in the corner of his lips while he replied, "vandha odane enna oota aarambichitiya... extra handsome na enna artham Sivaangi... ivalo naal naa appo intha alavu handsome illaya...", Sivaangi rolled her eyes dramatically, "matha naalum innikum onna... today is a special day mama... you are going to meet the devil... sorry... athu angel nu solla vandhen tongue slip...".