~ Home away from Home ~

The reflection she saw of herself in the mirror, hair neatly parted with a streak of vermilion just above her forehead and her neck clad with the auspicious thaali, though a sense of strangeness clouded her, she never felt so beautiful and tranquil all her life. Standing in a place she had known for just an hour, it made her feel nothing less than her home. She looked around the perfectly organised bedroom which was now hers, her ex-room had never looked that flawless even if she did spend hours cleaning it. She calmed her racing heart saying that they would have cleaned it for the wedding but deep down she knew, it was how her man was- Perfect. If she had to maintain it the exact way, having herself within it, it was going to be an herculean task. This would be probably the hundredth fear of hers in this one hour of stepping into her in-laws house.

Her outburst, an hour before the engagement, shrouded her eyes and she couldn't understand how she was unable to even catch a glimpse of its effect in Kathir's eyes or in his demeanor throughout the previous evening and even till the very moment. He, from then on, made sure she was never made to do anything against her will. He had not even given her a chance to apologise, as she was graciously pulled along with him into the cheerfulness of a tomorrow together. They had talked, laughed and danced the previous evening, making her doubt whether everything that happened in her room was just her hallucination. Every little gesture of his was from his heart which made her make peace with herself. Even the harshest of gloominess seemed so trivial with his smile reaching his eyes every time it sought after her.

The knock on the door made her jerk a little and she called out, "Ulla vaanga...", the door clicked and he walked in with that dazzling smile of his making her heart flutter. It was a vision to be held close to heart for Kathir, to have Mullai stand there all shy yet looking straight in his eyes inside his... their room. She looked divine in her one pleated green-bordered grey silk saree with her hair let loose and her hair parted to make the vermilion look strikingly beautiful on her. The thaali that tied them into one was the only jewellery she wore and it made her look pristine. He took a few steps closing the door behind him and she turned towards the mirror with a smile adorning the corner of her lips. He stood behind her with an inch gap looking into her eyes through the mirror and she felt so shrinked beside her handsome husband in his tidily pressed formal shirt and pants that he had just changed into.

When Kathir with his sparkling eyes was about to tell her how gorgeous she looked that instant but she turned around swiftly and hugged him burying her face in the crook of his neck, "sorry Kathir... nethu na ungakitta appadi pesiruka koodathu...", Kathir shushed her, caressing her hair and holding her in place by hugging her shoulders, "Mulla... that was an outburst of all your insecurities and fear... enaku puriyuthu... kalyanam oru ponnuku avalo easy aana onnu kedaiyaathu... un kovatha en mela kaatura alavu you saw me very close to you... eppavum enkitta idhe maari nee thayangaama pesunaale podhum enaku... sometimes sanda varum thaan aana athukunu namma manasula padaratha share pannika yosikara space kulla poga koodathu...". Mullai nodded into his collars and pulled away her face to look into his eyes, "why are you so sweet...", Kathir chuckled and kissed her forehead.

The thrash of the door and a voice calling out, "akka...", made them both jump off from each other and Sivaangi stood there stumbling to hold herself back, her face turning red with embarrassment. Sivaangi's eyes filled with tears and she turned towards the door saying in a small voice, "sorry mama... sorry ka... na knock pannitu kadhava thorandhurukanum...", she was pulled in immediately and was enveloped in Mullai's hug the next second. Sivaangi started crying into Mullai's shoulders and Mullai tapped her tenderly trying to calm her down. This was the first time Sivaangi felt like an outsider in her sister's life and it was hard to take in for her. Kathir left the room. Sivaangi pulled out of the hug wiping her tears and looked at the doorway, "mama... kochukitaaro... why am I so stupid...", Mullai giggled pulling her towards the bed and they both settled down but Sivaangi's eyes were fixed on the door.