~ Like a Heart needs a Beat ~

The room seemed grey with no streak of sunshine littered into it at the late hours of the evening with Mullai moving aimlessly within it alone. Sivaangi stood leaning on the door frame looking at her sister who had been smiling with no emotions for a whole month now. She cleared her throat earning Mullai's attention who passed her a small smile before turning back to the bags in front of her. The previous month had been extremely taxing for Sivaangi to witness the two people she loved the most being deprived of life in everything they did. She moved in and slumped on top of the bed, sighing at the luggages being packed, "akka... weekend thaana ka... yen mama va vara venaam nu solli adam pidikura... it has been a month ka... things have to change la... ippadiye irundha enna artham... Kanmani akka mama ku best friend ah illa unaku best friend ah nu theriyatha alavu close aayiteenga rendu perum... apram mama ta mattum pesa maaten nu otha kaal la ninna athu nyayame kedaiyaathu...".

The whole week after Kanmani arrived home, Mullai stayed with her making sure she was not brooding over the past that would have a toll on her and the baby's health, and took her to the doctor every once in a while. Mullai helped her get a job in the college she worked at too and they went to work together from the second week. All the while she never spoke or even looked at Kathir and when they finally moved back to their room with Kanmani totally fine being alone, she didn't budge to any amount of plead from his side. She simply kept mum all throughout. Sivaangi's anger on Kathir flew away in thin air within two minutes of him apologising and laying down his quivers of heart out to her. Pandian, Lakshmi, Sivaangi and Kanmani tried all that they could to make Mullai talk with Kathir at least a few words, only to have all their efforts go in vain. She was stubborn and unyielding whenever this topic came up in their midst.

Mullai looked at her sharply, making her gulp in fear, "yenna unga mama unna pesa solli anupchara... and things are not as simple as you say... enga rendu peru vishayathula yaarum thalaiyeedatheenga nu aayiram thadava solliten...", Sivaangi threw her a sullen look, cupping Mullai's hand within hers she uttered, "akka... mama unkitta palasa marachathu thappu thaan... adhu unaku therinja peragu at least avaru explain pannirukanum... annaiku he behaved a bit rude to you... athellam puriyuthu... but avaru edathula irundhu...". Mullai pulled her hand away, picking up a top to fold, "en edathula irundhu yaaru yosipa Sivaangi... ungaluku laam puriyathu... just leave it... naalaiku Kanmani scan ku poganum appointment fix panniyachu... naan illana Kathir thaana kootitu poganum... avarum namma kooda varen nu sonna enna artham...", she zipped her bag, turning around to Sivaangi's to check everything's been packed in it too.

Sivaangi had only one more valid point left in her favour, keeping her fingers crossed she stuttered pulling out words cautiously, "athu... nee oru vaarama romba weak ah iruka ka... mama athu thaan bayapaduraaru... konja naalave nee seriya saapadurathu illa thoongurathu illa... Kanmani akkave appointment ah innoru naaluku maathikalaam nu kooda solraanga... namakum mama vandha avalo thooram poga safe ah irukum la...", she closed Sivaangi's bag and took both of theirs towards the door piling them there, "namma madurai porathu en friendu kalyanathuku... athuku avaru varanum nu avasiyam illa... and I can very well take care of the both of us... yaaru thonaiyum thevai illa... avunga avunga velaiya avunga avunga paatha podhum...", she closed the door and walked back towards the bed to settle down for some rest, she couldn't set aside the fact that she was totally feeling unwell for a few days now.

Mullai curled up within the blanket and her feeble voice made Sivaangi snort in frustration, "enaku konjam tired ah iruku Sivaangi... na konja neram thoonguren... thaiva senju ask Kathir to not worry... ithu just fatigue thaan... seriya poyirum... and I need some fresh air too... some alone time... away from everything...", she didn't wait for Sivaangi's reply, instead turned towards the opposite side, giving Sivaangi no space to retort against her. She trudged her way downstairs and one look at Kathir's eager face made her sulk more, "she is so adamant mama... avalaiyum ennala mulusa thappu solla mudiyala... ungala railway station varaikum kooda vara vidurathu kashtam thaan...", Kathir leaned his head onto the sofa with eyes shut tight, with him facing the ceiling. Kanmani and Lakshmi's contour had nothing less than concern written over in bold letters, looking at the suffering the two pure souls were made to endure.