04 | past and present

(Name)'s POV

" Are these your old photos , (Name) ? " Gaara asked as he fingered the album that he retrieved from a nearby box.

" Uh.. Yeah ,"I replied sheepishly as I continued to arrange my books on the bookshelf.

There were four large boxes of books , and I was rather unsure whether the bookshelf was able to hold all my books.

" You're so cute when you were little ," Gaara commented. I peered over to the place he sat - my bed - and found him staring fondly at a photo of me during my sixth birthday.

" Really ?! You think so ?" I voiced in disbelief. I felt my eyebrows furrow as I stared at the photo of a pigtailed six year old , as she held a pink fabric doll in her hand and boasted a sparkly purple party hat on her head.

I barely saw any sense of cuteness , all I saw was brattiness. 
" Yes. I do think so ," Gaara murmured softly.

A deep shade of red formed on my face . No one ever looked at that photo and commented how cute (Name) (Surname) was.

Perhaps he is just being nice. " I don't understand how you changed from this into a massive bookworm ," Gaara spoke as he pointed the photo and to the mountain of books I was trying to clear up . 

" It's called growing up . I can't stay like that forever ," I replied sassily.

" Clearly ," he agreed . " But what are you doing here ? You should be resting , it's 9:42 PM now ," I said as my eyes lingered towards the half-smashed alarm clock.

" Nothing big.. I figured you would be lonely , yeah , unpacking your stuff all alone in dead midnight ," Gaara trailed.

" It's barely ten . And I think you are the lonely one .. Of course , I usually accompany you until you fall asleep .. Just admit that you're scared ," I voiced , my eyebrows raising.

" It sucks how you know me that well ," he murmured. " Hey , where did that come from ?" I blurted . Gaara never used the term 'sucks' , which is popular among teens today.

" I picked up that from you ," he replied coolly. Great , now I am being a bad influence.

" Never mind that . You should be in bed by now , " I insisted hotly .
" Come on (Name) . Let me have some fun teasing you ," he voiced. " Oh look at this picture ," .

It was a photo of my first day at primary school . My (h/c) was pulled back and braided thickly . My face held a stoic , pissed off expression.

" So cute , yet so serious ," he teased . A grin spread across my lips. I could not  help but feel flattered. 

My eyes landed on the smiling Gaara , and I found myself staring fondly at him.

His hair was a bright scarlet , similar to one's blood. His eyes were a gentle seafoam green tone , that was able to calm down any broken heart. His smile was sincere , sweet and quick . His gaze was hypnotizing..

" Had a nice time staring , (Name) ? " Gaara's voice rang , making me jerk up from the trance.

I felt my mouth twitch into a scowl. " Oh yeah .. I had a really nice time . To tell the truth it's the time of my life , Kami ! " I voiced sarcastically.

Gaara stared at me sceptically and let out a sigh.  " Come on .. After all that chit chat , an hour has passed ," I murmured as I grabbed his hand.

" (Name) ! " he bellowed . " It's okay ! I'll accompany you ! Until you fall asleep , because you are afraid of monsters under the bed ! " I blurted.

" But there can't be any monsters under the bed. In case you haven't noticed , my bed is a divan bed , and it only has a small gap about two inches under the bed ," Gaara explained .