22 | awaiting

' I remember those times where we had completely no care in the world . Undoubtedly , I miss those times . I just hope our love remains the same - untouched and untainted by time's cruel spell '
" ...well .. We should spend our honeymoon here then ," Gaara stated rather gleefully . (Name)'s eyes grew wide , and her breath hitched . " What do you mean by that ? " she questioned , eyes wide full of confusion .

      " Isn't it obvious (Name) ... I want to marry you ," Gaara smiled brightly . (Name) however , did not share the same smile . " Gaara ... I don't deserve you . You're the Kazekage . I'm just ... A nobody ," she murmured softly . " But to me , you're worth everything . Even everyone added up , they can't equal you ," Gaara countered . 

  " (Name).. I love you so much ... So much .. I can never live without you . Its like... Being held captive in a cage , and the key is held just out of my reach . It hurts .. It's heart wrenching .. Without you , I'm not even alive . I'm just an empty husk , that can only be filled up by the love of a single person - you , " he voiced . 

Gaara inched closer towards (Name) and embraced her lightly, laying his head on her shoulder . " Please give me an answer (Name)."

    " Please .." 

(Name) felt her cheeks warm up at Gaara's words. " Will you marry me , (Name) (Surname) ? "

 A soft gasp escaped her lips .She averted her gaze to Gaara , whose face was buried in her neck , his embrace around her slightly shaky .

   " Look at me Gaara ," she spoke , placing her hand on Gaara's cheek . Gaara turned to face her , his face red and flushed , his eyes full of hopefulness that made (Name)'s lip quiver .

She kept an emotionless façade on , her face stoic and cold . " (Name) ," Gaara called out , his heart beating erratically . " Gaara ... Please give me some time ," (Name) huffed , fatigue overpowering her .

Disappointment overtook Gaara , and left him speechless . His mouth felt utterly dry as he stared into blankness. " O..Of cc..course ," he stuttered . 

" You should rest (Name) ," he smiled , an overly wide one as a poor attempt to hide his wrecked feelings. He gently tucked (Name) into the bed , and swiftly left the room without kissing her forehead - just like he always did . 

      Gaara stared blankly outside the window , no joy left in his heart . ' Some time ? It's the same as saying " I don't want to marry you " or a straight firm " NO "  he thought bitterly . The private jet was nearly approaching the Suna International Airport , and his heart tightened even more . 
    " (Name) ," he called out to the girl whom he loves dearly . " Himari will come to pick you up later ." (Name) visibly flinched at the coldness of his voice. " Y..yes ," she stuttered pitifully . 
     ' Perhaps I should just marry whoever the council wants me to ,' Gaara's jaw clenched tightly as he tried to get rid of (Name) from his mind . He was happy that she was there , right next to him , very much alive . However her response broke his heart once more , and he could barely face her . 

     ' She didn't do anything wrong ... It's just me .. I think I shouldn't see her for a while ,'
" Gaara," (Name) voiced . " How much did the medical expenses cost ? I'd like to repay them ..." 
The crimson haired Kazekage swiftly shook his head. " There's no need for that ," he stated coldly . 
To (Name) , it sounded as if he thought her question was ridiculous . ' Just because I'm poor doesn't mean I'll allow myself to live in his debt ! ' 
They grew distant , much more than they ever did . (Name) pressed her lips tightly together , forming a thin line . She threw her gaze to the view outside the window and bitterly contemplated life .

Gloom consumed the room as (Name) drew the dark curtains and shut all the lights . " Hey (Name) ! At least eat something ! You just got better , I wouldn't want you to fall ill again ," Himari called out . 

   " I'm not hungry ," (Name) croaked from under the blankets . Himari let out an agitated sigh as she tucked the strands of blue hair behind her ear . " Okay , fine . Whatever you say . Oh , I also wanted to ask you . Do you want to continue on becoming a nurse now that you're better ? " she questioned . 
(Name) pondered for a while , unconsciously biting her lower lip . " Nah... I think I'll just pursue another job ."

Himari pulled off the blanket and said " I thought so . Do you know La Rouge Chatte ? It's a famous high class restaurant in upperscale Suna . I've heard they're hiring new staff ."
(Name) nodded thoughtlessly . " I'll just go for an interview then ."

" Gaara ! I heard you considered meeting Lady Kamiko of the Oshiro family ! What's gotten into you ?! (Name) just got better .. I thought you and her-" Kankurou blurted in a motion similar to that of a firing gun . 

    " So what ? " Gaara drawled , barely looking up from his paperwork . " C'mon Gaara . She said ' give her some time ' not a straightforward NO . Surely you can differentiate that ! " Kankurou huffed . 

   Gaara bitterly clipped several documents together , his movements swift and almost robotic . " Gaara did you hear me ? " Kankurou voiced . " Yes I did . She said to give her some time . Well , I don't want to give her time ," Gaara spat . 

" Do you even know who Kamiko Oshiro is ? She's pretty and rich and classy and all , but she's got personality of trash ! You know trash ? See that trash can and all the things in it ," Kankurou burst . 
   " She's the council's top candidate .. I have no choice but to meet her ," Gaara drawled . " Huh ? No choice ? Who's the Kazekage ? You or them ? " Kankurou was clearly unamused .
         " They won't stop bugging me until I pick a candidate . I'll just roll with it ." Kankurou shook his head in frustration . " But that girl .. Ugh .. She's really spoilt ! I'd probably move away and start a new life with a new identity if you married that Kamiko..."
    " She's most likely to be your sister-in-law Kankurou . At least speak nice things about her ," Gaara murmured . Kankurou's face had the same shade as Himari's hair when Gaara voiced the sentence . " I think I'll hate family reunions... By the way , where and when are you meeting up with that ... Thing ? " Kankurou questioned .

Gaara let out a soft sigh as he set another bundle of paperwork on his desk . " Two weeks from now at La Rouge Chatte .

" So , what position are you soughting for ?" a thin lipped middle aged woman with reddish brown hair in a very tight bun questioned . (Name) awkwardly toyed with the long sleeves of her loose dress , her eyes darting uncomfortably around the obviously luxurious room . 

" Any position is fine , Ma'am ," she answered truthfully . Any position was fine , for (Name) desperately needed a job . (Name) did not have any experience in the culinary world , nor she had any idea about things such as ' Haute cuisine ' or ' Bona fide ' . And when someone brought up the subject ' Michelin ' , she thought of a big , plump man made of white tires , not a high class restaurant . 

     " We are in need of waitresses. La Rouge Chatte needs a waitress who is poised , and possesses a neat , swift and efficient demeanour . And of course , someone that is pleasant to the eye ," the woman , Nicolette Vaillancourt stated . 

' Yeah , I'm efficient as hell ' (Name) monologued . " I think you should be able to pull it off . You were once a nurse , and a good one at that , so I presume you are efficient and good at interacting . I have a question for you though - why did you quit from becoming a nurse ? " Nicolette asked , her beady black eyes keeningly darting all around (Name) .

    " I decided to learn more about the world . I know what it's like in the hospital - it's depressing , as people die there everyday . I just wanted to start a new book , preferably at a place people actually enjoy themselves ," she grinned . 

      "I see . It's a good thing - to learn about other things and not just focus on one sole thing . For if you lose it , you'll have nothing left in the world . Having all your skills on an average level is better than being excellent at one of them and completely flunking the others ," Nicolette nodded .

   " (Surname) , you are a girl of a bright open mind , one of the qualities I heavily appreciate . Congratulations , you just landed yourself a job here , at La Rouge Chatte ."