04/ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅ

𝑨𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒂

𝑨𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒂

Caleb was hospitalised and Maria finally feels at ease with him gone.

I am quite disappointed that he isn't dead.
Because he had hurt Maria, and I wanted him to suffer for every minute of it.
S

he is the only person alive that I deeply care for.

She held me when I felt close to breaking down.
All the times I tried to end it all, she stopped me.

"Lia, everything is temporary, nothing lasts forever, things are going to get better, they always do, stay strong" she always told me.

And so I listened to her.
I always did...she had been trapped here ever since she was eleven years old.
She knew how to get around more than I do.

Roman used to lock me up in the cellar for days, with no food or water.
He said it was for my own good.
But now that I think of it, he was just trying to hold himself back from taking me.

One promise he made to himself was to never take me until I came of age.
He said that he needed me as a pure young woman.
To give myself to him when I'm ready.

So he locked me up for 2 years,
2 whole years in that filthy cellar.
I never saw the time of the day when the morning blue sky cast away the cloak of night, nor the silvery moon, dotted with the dark blue sky in those 730 days.
I never got to see the incessant gentleness of the soothing rain, neither the snow that fell on a late December.

I could hear all of it though, I could hear the soft patter as the rain fell onto the rooftop, the whistle of a cold breeze on an early October morning.

The owls that sang during the night and the birds that harmonized with the sunrise.

I had gotten so good at listening, that I barely talked anymore, that was until I heard a voice, singing from the other side of the wall.

A voice as sweet as an angel's, a harmony so heavenly.

Her voice was so soothing, I could forget all my problems and sleep in content, just listening to it.

I was 16, naive and curious, but she was just the same.

I remember calling out to her, and telling her she had a beautiful voice.
She thanked me and introduced herself as Maria, saying when she was little she always hoped she'd become a singer.

I asked her how long she had been here, and all she said was

"A long, long time, I think I might just die in here" her voice sounded so helpless, so tired of fighting.