03 | a little stain

The next day was undoubtedly a gloomy day. It rained heavily , and the sky was in an ugly shade of bluish grey. Rain droplets were carried by the howling wind , and each time Neji opened the windows , he was met with an unpleasant shower.

He let out a soft sigh as he closed the balcony's sliding door. Neji set the cup of Caramel Frappucino on the coffee table, cringing at how sweet it was.

It was far too sweet for him , and the current situation didn't help at all. Gloominess filled the air , and the light brown liquid stood out effortlessly. Just like (Name) , after all the Frappucino is her favourite drink. She no longer stood out though , as she had faded into the sickening background.

It was already the third week , and (Name) showed absolutely no signs of waking up. Her condition hasn't gotten any better, and she seemed too grow worse . All Neji hoped for was that she would wake up and stay with him. Just like that day, five years ago.

' After laying (Name) down in the bed of one of his many guest rooms , Neji headed to his own bedroom. His head was throbbing from extreme exhaustion , but he couldn't bring himself to leave (Name) alone. Neji tried to brush the thoughts off his mind, however when he was right in front of his bedroom door, he found his feet planted on the door, and being unable to move forward 

He reached out for the door handle, but let go of it a second later. Soon , he was on his way to the guest room where he had left (Name).

The guest room wasn't as fancy as his own room , but it was vastly much more luxurious than those of average people. The flora were made from the finest marble, and high class furnitures decorated the room. Neji made to a leather couch and laid his back.

    " Why on earth am I lying here?" He couldn't help but mutter. Neji glanced at (Name) , fast asleep.

     " Because of her, it seems." It didn't take long for Neji to fall asleep himself.

When he woke up the next morning , he found (Name) still in her sweet slumber. A smile twinged on his lips as he headed to his room to take a shower. After bathing and dressing up , he went back to the guestroom , but (Name) wasn't there. His eyes widened as he saw the empty bed, and worry struck his being. Neji checked the bathroom, but (Name) wasn't there. He bolted out of the room, and searched high and low for her.

     " (Surname)-san ! (Surname)-san ! " he yelled out. There was no reply, but he barely caught the sound of small, rapid footsteps.

     " (Surname)-san! Why are you hiding? I'm not going to hurt you! " 

This time, he heard a weak whimper from the space under the staircase. He quickly descended the stairs, and there he saw her crouched in a corner, hugging her knobbly knees. 

      " (Surname)-san," he spoke as he inched closer towards her. At the sound of Neji's voice , (Name)'s body shook and she lifted her head , her eyes wide and bloodshot .

      " Please.. Don't come closer.." she murmured softly, inching further away. Neji ignored her though , and swiftly walked towards her.

       " It's alright. Don't be afraid," he shouted and quickly hoisted her up. (Name) tried to break away from his grasp , but obviously, Neji was much more stronger than she would ever be.

      " Let go of me..." she seethed under her breath, tugging her hand away. " Answer me first," Neji voiced sternly, causing (Name) to freeze. " Why would you run away ? You make it seem as if I would hurt you." 

The girl shook her head rapidly . " No no.. It's not like that.. You.. This place.. Thank you for bringing me here , but I shouldn't be here. I might stain this beautiful castle of yours."

Neji's eyes widened at her words. " What makes you think that way?" he blurted .

     " I know that everybody here is disgusted by the fact that I came from the village. I wasn't raised in the village like them . I'm not highly educated like them. Maybe that's why I'm so inferior, compared to them. I'm sure you feel the same, Neji-sama . I'll just be the little stain in this society . Nothing more than that."

Those words blew Neji's mind . No one ever said something like that to him before , and it shocked him immensely.

      " You're not a stain, (Name)." At the mention of her first name, the girl's ears peeked up.

      " You're the only person untainted by their vermin. Only you, (Name)."

​​​​​​Indeed, that was what Neji viewed the rest of the aristocratic society as. Vermin.

     " (Name), listen to me . You're not the dirty one. It's them  . So don't you ever say something like that again." For the first time in her life, someone actually spoke kindly to her. Someone actually tried to comfort her.

A tear slowly slipped from the corners of her eyes, and it trickled down her cheek. It didn't go far before Neji wiped it with his hand. More tears fell , but at the same time , a smile formed. on her lips.

 " Thank you. Thank you so much.."

Neji starred at the sky, which was now growing dark. He grew preoccupied with watching the starless nightscap​​​​​​e that he didn't notice (Name)'s heart monitor, where a flat line ensued. When the blaring sound pierced his eardrums, he felt as if he just woke up from a trance.

     " (Name)!" he screamed, she's wide in horror when he saw the flat line. He quickly posed the emergency button , to alert the doctors. (Name) wasn't breathing , and her heart wasn't beating either. Her skin was far too pale and she felt unnaturally cold.

Neji sighed in relief when the doctors came in , but worry still flooded his heart. The grave expressions on the doctors' faces disturbed him greatly , and it soon grew to become immense fear. One of the nurses ushered Neji outside . He wanted to protest, but he knew he might disrupt the doctors.

His breathing was rapid , and a feeling of desperation quickly overtook him. A tear slowly slid down his cheek as he collapsed into one of the plastic seats . Neji held a hand over his chest , and that was the moment when he saw it.

The wedding ring.

To him , it was nothing but a simple golden band. But to (Name) , it was extremely meaningful and important. He kept it on , but he never cherished it. The pain in his heart grew when he recalled the vows he made their wedding day.

' I'll cherish her with all my heart , and protect her with my very own life,'

" I never did so ."

" I promise too never leave her behind, and never abandon her,'

" I left her dangling on the loose strings of our bond."

" And I promise too always love her. I'll make her happy , and make her smile everyday, '

​​​​​​" All I did was to make her suffer."