08 | the ugly duckling

After spending at home with (Name), Neji had to return to his duties as HyugaCorps CEO. He still had lots of work to do, for he left them in heaps when (Name) was involved in the car crash.

However, he couldn't leave (Name) alone in the house, and he didn't trust anyone either. So there, she was. In the middle of his office.

Everyone was shocked to see her, for in less than five weeks ago, she was in a life threatening and near death condition. They all bowed to her, as a sign of respect. (Name) was visibly amused - no one ever did that to her before. Of course, she never had been in a position above others. At least as she remembers. 

     " You know, I can take care of myself. I still have all my five senses, my common sense, coordination and a functioning body. What are you worrying about? " she blurted. 

     " Even if you have a sixth sense, I still won't let you walk around alone. I'll take you around when I'm done with this, " Neji said, using a stern intonation that he never used before.
Instantly, (Name)'s face drooped.
     " Oh. Okay, " she answered indifferently, before she went to sit in another corner of the huge office.
Neji didn't notice it at first, but he did sense the lack of enthusiasm in her final sentence. It sounded exactly like her before she lost her memory. 

Solemn and lost.

It wasn't that he wanted to cage her, or make her feel isolated. It was just that the culprit behind the incident could be anyone - anyone.

And even through the entire month of searching, the police still struggled to find a lead. He had to protect (Name). Even if it meant he had to isolate her. Even if he had to cage her. 

Even if she hated his guts, he would still protect her. He swore that he would.

Neji quickly stood up and walked towards (Name) who sat on a leather couch with a copy of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows sitting in her lap, opened in the earlier pages.
      " Have you read this series before? " Neji asked. (Name) shook her head, and Neji replaced the book with Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone. 

     " It's the first installment of the series. You'll love it, (Name)."

Neji expected a blinding smile, but all he received was an emotionless nod.
     " Are you sulking, (Name)? " he questioned her. 
(Name) shook her head, still blank and empty faced. " No, I'm not." Her voice sounded so cold, so distant. So unfamiliar. 

     " Yes you are. If you're not, let's go sit over there with me, " he pointed at his work desk. 
(Name) shook her head again. " You sounded so busy . I felt like a distraction, disturbing you when you obviously have so much to do. "

Busy.

He wondered how many times he used that word before.

Like the time when he went out with a another woman on their wedding anniversary. 

Like the time when he didn't come home during her birthday. 

Like all the time, when he left her alone in the cold, bleak house.

It struck him, hard. Her words struck him so deep, that he found himself speechless. 
    " You're not a distraction, (Name). You're the best thing that happened in my goddamn life, " he almost choked. He wasn't going to let her feel alone and left out ever again.

Neji grabbed her delicate hands and held them in his calloused ones. " Remember that always, (Name). No matter what everyone says, just remember that."

Her hands felt cold, and Neji almost jumped when those freezing fingers squeezed his hands back.
     " I just wanted to let you do your work in peace. Why are you getting all emotional? Are you on your period? " (Name) blurted suddenly, a mischievous grin spread on her lips.
Instantly, Neji's heart leapt. She was smiling. At him.