I'm Still Standing

It had been 3 weeks since Elle's surgery and she was finally cleared to go back to work... well to the reception desk. Either way she was really excited for her first shift back; she was going out of her mind with boredom and parental overload. Her parents were stopping by to check in almost every other day and while she appreciated how much they love her, it was getting to be a bit much. On top of her parents, some folks from the station had come to visit her too. Trav was there a lot, but that was nothing new. He was always dropping by to hang out with her and Vic. Maya came a few times too. She claimed she was just coming to quiz Elle on theoretical fire situations to keep her sharp but that excuse only thinly veiled her desire to check in on her. Maya had really started to look at Elle as a mentee and a friend, and she wanted to make sure she was okay.

Elle knew that at least three people would be excited to have her back at the station but was pleasantly surprised to find everyone waiting for her when she walked in that morning... even Andy. She gave Elle a small smile, "welcome back" she said quietly before heading out to the barn. Everyone else stayed by reception for a few minutes to chat before a call came in and they had to leave. Elle settled in at the reception desk and started doodling, waiting for something, anything, to happen. The engines got back an hour later and Elle was on the edge of her seat waiting to hear every detail about the call. Vic jumped up onto the reception desk to tell her all about it.

"Hughes," Maya bellowed from her office. "The hoses need to be inspected."

Vic rolled her eyes but hopped up. "Yeah, of course captain," she responded with as little tone in her voice as possible.

Once Vic was gone Maya came over to the reception desk and started detailing the call, asking Elle what she would do each step of the way. Elle seemed to pass the test because Maya smiled as she turned to leave.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Elle asked cautiously. Maya stopped and came back. She nodded and waited for Elle to continue.

"Andy actually talked to me today. Not much but still. And I was just wondering... uh.. Did she say anything to you about me?"

The conflicted look on Maya's face prompted Elle's apology. She didn't mean to overstep, she just couldn't help from asking. She hadn't heard anything from Andy since the day of the accident and she didn't know what to think. Elle secretly wished that Andy had changed her mind about her, that maybe, someday, she would actually think of her as a sister.

Seeing the disappointment on Elle's face Maya sighed. "Look Walsh, just give her time okay? Don't push it."

Elle smiled a little and nodded.

The rest of the day was pretty boring. Elle continued to doodle a sketch of the station whenever the team was out on calls. She played a little trashketball with Jack and Dean, chatted and got all the latest news from Travis and Vic, and quietly watched Andy mull about the firehouse. Elle was waiting for Vic so they could head home together when shift ended and Andy walked past her. Normally she passes quickly without so much as making eye contact, so Elle was surprised when she turned as she walked by. "See ya" she said casually.

"Uhh yeah see ya!" Elle stammered. She was stunned and told Vic about it the whole way home. She knew it wasn't much. Four words in 24 hours, but that was four more kind words than Andy had ever spoken to her at the station.

...........................................

Andy showed up at Maya's door an hour after shift ended with a bottle of wine. Maya opened the door in nothing but a lace bra and satin shorts, much to Andy's surprise.

"Oh you are not Carina!" Maya gasped as she reached for a blanket draped over the couch. "What's going on?"

"Oh god.. Sorry." Andy responded as she averted her eyes. "I was just hoping we could talk."

Maya laughed. "Of course. Just let me put some clothes on."

She quickly threw on a t-shirt and joggers and reluctantly texted her beautiful Italian girlfriend about the change of plans.

"Alright," Maya said as she plopped onto the couch and accepted the glass of red Andy held out for her. "What's up?"

"Elle," Andy admitted with disdain as she downed half her glass in one sip.

Maya settled back into the couch realizing this would not be a quick conversation. "What about her?'' she asked.

Andy sighed, "I don't even know." She paused to find the right words. "I guess I just thought it would be easier today. To see her, you know?"

Maya nodded, waiting for her friend to explain further.

"I was hoping that after everything it wouldn't be as hard to see her. At the hospital I was just so stunned and grateful that it overpowered everything else. But I guess that wore off because when I saw her at the station today all the resentment came flooding back. And I really tried to be nice to her today because it's so much harder to hate her now but..."

"You still do," Maya said, finishing her sentence.

Andy nodded as she refilled her glass.

"I think you need to..." Maya started before pausing. "Do you want my advice?"

Andy nodded so she went on.

"I think you need to stop looking at her as your sister."

"She is NOT my sister," Andy interjected.

"Okay... then you need to stop thinking of her as your mother's daughter. Just look at her like your coworker, a probie, and a pretty good one at that."

Andy sighed as she leaned back. She let out a half hearted laugh as she asked "yeah, now how do I do that?"