Back On My Feet Again

It was another two months before Elle was out of her cast, off her crutches, and cleared to go back to work. In that time, not much had changed between her and Andy. She continued to be nice and never fully lost hope, but took Maya's advice and tried her best not to push it. In return, Andy kept up her forced pleasantries and made the effort to have one cordial conversation with Elle every shift, even if they were only 10 words. It wasn't much, but it was enough to keep Elle's spark of hope alive.

After three months without being on a call, Elle was super excited... and so was Vic. She came barreling into Elle's room at 6am the morning of her first day back. "You ready?!" she yelled as Elle was startled awake.

She jumped, but laughed once she saw it was just Vic. "Of course!" she replied as she got out of bed. "I can't wait to get back to the station!"

Vic laughed and shook her head. "Of course that's what you're excited about. But I was talking about your birthday!"

Elle's 21st birthday was at the end of the week, a fact that she almost forgot. She had been so focused on getting back to work that she couldn't think about anything else. Vic had spent weeks trying to plan a party but Elle kept pushing it off. Eventually Elle promised that as soon as she was back at work she would help (aka let) Vic plan a party.

Regardless of the reason, their excitement was enough to get Vic and Elle to the Station almost an hour before shift started. They made breakfast for the rest of the team as Vic worked to convince Elle to do something bigger than just drinks at Joe's to celebrate on Friday. Maya showed up a few minutes later and joined their debate, siding with Vic. The two of them ganged up on Elle saying that just going to Joe's was too boring. Vic told her about the crazy night she had when she turned 21. She was already wasted by the time it hit midnight and they left for the bars. Then she and her friends went bar hopping until 3am. Elle laughed and said that sounded exhausting. Maya told her that being exhausted for one night would be worth it. She then went on to say that she regretted not having a big 21st celebration. She was too focused on running to bother with a party, or even friends really and since Elle had friends to go out with she should.

Miller, Gibson, Montgomery, and Warren had trickled in throughout the conversation but the siren went off before anyone else could give their two cents. Elle was relieved to have been spared more haranguing but even more excited to finally get back into the field. She sprinted to the barn before Maya called out and told her to stop. Elle turned to look at her, still putting on her turnout. "What? Why? There's a fire; we have to go!"

Maya took Elle's jacket out of her hands. "We have to go," she said, gesturing to the rest of the team. "You never did your required therapy session before coming back. You were hurt on the job, you know it's protocol. You didn't actually think I'd let you go out on a call without being cleared did you?"

Elle sheepishly took off her boots. "I was kind of hoping no one would notice."

Maya laughed. "Well I did. But I also asked Diane to come in today to make sure you get the all clear. She should be here soon."

Elle rolled her eyes but accepted defeat and walked back into the station to wait for the therapist. She had never met Diane before but had heard about her from Vic and Jack, and wasn't too nervous about the meeting. She figured it would be pretty straight forward; after all, she was fine. Elle was sitting at the front desk testing all the pens when Diane walked in. Seeing the SFD logo on her shirt, Elle dropped her pen and stood up.

"Hi, you must be Diane," Elle said with a smile, wanting to get started so she could get cleared as soon as possible.

"And you must be Walsh" Diane replied as she extended a hand.

Elle followed Diane into the captain's office and sat down. "Okay, so what are we supposed to talk about?"

Diane chuckled. "We can talk about whatever you'd like."

"Oh," Elle said. She didn't know where to start or what she needed to say to get cleared.

Diane could read her discomfort. "Would you like to start with the accident? We'll have to get to that at some point."

"Yeah," Elle nodded. "Sure. We got called to a house fire and I went in to make sure there wasn't anyone inside. And then the ceiling started to collapse and my leg got caught under it."

Diane paused, hoping Elle would elaborate. When she didn't, Diane spoke up. "Were you alone in there? I heard Herrera was with you."

"Oh yeah she was, Bishop sent us in together to clear the building."

"Bishop also told me that you were hurt trying to help Herrera? Is that true?" Diane pressed.

"Well, yeah. The ceiling started to fall and it was going to hit her so I jumped and pushed her out of the way. We just didn't get fully out of the way..." Elle elaborated. She could see Diane waiting for her to go on but she wasn't sure what else to say.

"That's a really brave thing to do," Diane said. "Not everyone would risk themselves for a teammate. Especially as a probie."

"Of course I did, it was Andy" Elle responded without thinking.

Diane leaned forward, sensing that they were really starting to get somewhere. "And did that make it different?"

"Well... yeah," Elle said slowly. She could tell Diane wasn't letting up so she gave in and started to explain. "Andy is kind of like my sister. Well at least I think of her that way. Her mom is my mom. Not biologically, but she raised me. And Andy's really pissed about it because, well because her mom left her only to raise me and she seems to blame me for that." Elle stopped, realizing she probably explained a little too much. "But um.. That's not the point. The point is, it was Andy and I grew up being told she's my family so I had to protect her."

Diane nodded as she took in what Elle had said. "What makes you think that she blames you for her mother's.. your mother's actions?"

Elle laughed. "Because she does. She fought to get me transferred when I was assigned here. She told me not to talk to her, that we weren't family. I know she doesn't like me."

Diane didn't say anything but shifted and waited for Elle to continue.

"It's been better though," Elle went on. "Everything has been pretty civil lately and I don't think she's trying to have me transferred any more. So you know it's fine."

Elle was nervous about what Diane would say but much to her surprise Diane seemed to mostly let it go. She asked if Elle felt safe and supported at the station, given everything with Andy. She said she did, explaining her friendship with Vic and Trav and how Maya has been training her more and more. After talking for an hour, Diane finally cleared Elle to go back to work, just as the rest of the team got back from their call.

Elle ran off to tell Vic and celebrate her full return. Diane laughed watching the probie run across the firehouse and waited in the office doorway for Captain Bishop. After everything she heard, she wanted to stick around and talk to Herrera.