Whenever You Remember

"Ughhhh" Elle groaned as she woke up. She picked up her phone and saw that it was 11:30. Rolling over she quickly sealed her eyes shut again as she was met with sunlight pouring in through her window. She laid there, head pounding, for a minute before her eyes shot open again and she jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom.

After throwing up twice she slowly made her way into the kitchen in search of coffee. Vic gave her a pitiful look as she handed her a mug.

"Oof, you threw up again?" Vic asked, as Elle took a large sip.

She looked up from her cup with a questioning look. Slowly, she asked "What do you mean again?"

Vic laughed, the loud sound making Elle's head spin again. "Oh babe."

Elle settled herself at the kitchen counter as Vic recounted the events of the night before. She told Elle that at last call she did another round of shots with Andy against Vic and Maya's protest. Then Travis and Jack had to help her into the car. Travis rode with her and Vic to help get her up the stairs to their apartment where Vic held Elle's hair back for an hour as she threw up.

Elle turned bright red; she felt horrible that she was such a mess. "I'm so sorry," she said sheepishly as she tried to hide behind her mug.

Vic laughed it off, "You're fine." Seeing that Elle didn't look convinced she continued, "I was the same way when I turned 21. It's a rite of passage."

Elle smiled a little, "Thanks."

"Of course," Vic replied. "Now go change. We're going to get breakfast sandwiches. The bacon will make you feel better I promise."

Quickly finishing her coffee, Elle got up and headed back to her room. She threw on a pair of leggings, a flannel, and a beanie to cover her messy hair. Just as they were about to leave, Vic handed her a pair of sunglasses. "Trust me."

As they walked to the bagel shop around the corner, Elle felt her phone buzz. She pulled it out to see a text from her mom: "Happy birthday mija! Can't wait to see you for dinner tonight!" She smiled then noticed a recent conversation with an unsaved number. She showed Vic as she read through the messages sent at 3am.

E: hey ;)

??: Hey! Is this the birthday girl?

E: Haha yep! My name is Elle btw

??: I'm RJ. And I'm glad you texted :)

RJ: Have a fun night?

"Who the fuck is RJ?" Elle asked, hoping Vic had more of a clue than she did.

Vic looked just as puzzled. "Dude I have no idea" she chuckled. "I didn't see you send those last night."

Elle was still deep in thought when they got to the bagel shop. Vic ordered two bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches and more coffee. They sat at a table outside to eat and just as she was opening up her bagel, Vic had a realization.

"Oh, dude! I bet RJ is the bartender!" she exclaimed.

"The bartender?" Elle asked, still as lost as before.

Vic nodded as she took a bite. "Yeah. Remember the bartender gave you their number on a napkin?"

Elle was quiet for a minute as it started to come back to her. She remembered getting the free drink and seeing the number on the napkin. She remembered finding it in her pocket when she was getting changed and texting it before she fell asleep. The only thing she couldn't remember was what the bartender looked like.

Vic laughed, "Okay then we're gonna have to go back and scope it out!"

...............................