New Romantics

"Well, I know his name now..." Vic whispered to Elle as the tall and handsome Theo Ruiz joined their line-up. His eyes widened as he caught a glimpse of Vic, but Bishop started giving orders before he could get a better look and see if it was really her.

"Alright 19," Captain Bishop addressed her team. "Montgomery and Herrera are out today. Ruiz from 23 is here to help us pick up the slack, but we're still down a person so we need to be on our A-game alright?"

The team nodded as Elle did a quick look down the line. She hadn't realized that Travis was also out, and made a mental note to text him and check in. The fact that Andy had also called out made her nervous. But even with all of that floating through her head, the first thing on her mind was getting a good look at Ruiz. As if she could tell that was Elle's motive, Vic nudged her, bringing her attention back to Maya's announcements just in time to hear that she was on engine with Vic and, of course, Ruiz.

The second Maya dismissed them Vic grabbed Elle's arm and made a beeline for the locker room. "Oh good idea," Elle joked as she was dragged inside. "He might not recognize you if you're not running."

"Oh shut up!" Vic laughed, but thought about what Elle said and slowed down. She released her friend's arm and casually walked to the beanery as if nothing had happened.

Elle chuckled and rolled her eyes as she watched her friend pour a cup of coffee. She grabbed the pot from Vic, "You need to chill out dude." She poured a cup for herself and stirred in the oat milk and sugar while Vic tried to defend herself.

"I am chill," Vic claimed even though she and Elle both knew it wasn't true. "So my mystery man is here, all day, working with our team. No biggie. All good. I'm cool."

Elle snorted a laugh, "yeah okay. Well I'm gonna go get started on chores so I'll be stocking the engine if you need me."

She passed Ruiz on her way out to the barn and shot him a smile. She desperately wanted to pepper him with questions, but fought the urge. The plan was to just breeze past him but he stopped her by the reception desk.

Holding his hand out, he introduced himself. "Hey, I'm Theo Ruiz."

"I'm Elle Walsh. Welcome to 19," she said, returning the hand shake.

"Thanks," he smiled warmly.

Assuming their conversation was over, Elle turned to go. She turned back when she heard Theo's voice again. "Hey, umm..." he fumbled, glancing up the stairs toward the beanery, not quite sure how to ask the question on his mind. He might not have known how to ask, but the question was loud and clear.

"Her name is Victoria Hughes; Vic. She's upstairs getting breakfast." Elle said.

Theo blushed but quickly thanked her before walking off in search of his no longer nameless mystery girl.

Elle was five minutes into restocking the engine and waiting for Vic to come update her when a call came in.

"Engine 19, Aid Car 19, Accident reported at 1261 Liberanti Court."

Elle was already waiting in the passenger seat when Vic and Theo appeared. She had contemplated sitting in the back, just to force the two of them to sit next to each other, but decided against it. Vic and Theo seemed a little awkward on the ride over, but as soon as they stepped out of the engine they were completely professional. Elle chuckled a little to see the instant transition from Theo and Vic to Ruiz and Hughes.

The call itself wasn't anything too extreme. There had been a car accident and one of the cars was badly smashed up. They needed the jaws of life from the engine to get the door off, but the person inside wasn't badly hurt. Warren and Miller were on aid car and took him to the hospital while Elle, Vic, and Theo headed back to the station.

"So," Elle spoke up. "Theo, what kind of food do you like?"

Vic shot her a look, warning her to stop. Elle didn't seem to care.

"Ummm, well I like a lot of things." He was surprised by the question but answered anyway. "Pizza, steak, enchiladas. Oh and I know the best place for pierogis!"

"Oh really?" Elle remarked, glancing back at him with a sly smile. "What place?"

"Kaminski's!" Theo said. "It's over on..."

Elle cut him off. "No way! Did you know that Hughes' parents own that place?"

Theo looked stunned. He turned to Vic for confirmation. "Wait for real? Your parents own the best pierogi restaurant in Seattle?"

She blushed but nodded. "Yeah, my parents own that place." She paused a moment before returning to her usual snarky self. "And you're right about them being the best."

"I have a great idea," Elle said, sounding a little too eager. "We should all go get pierogis after shift!"

Theo laughed nervously but agreed, "yeah, that'd be great."

At that point Vic had no choice but to agree. "Yeah, let's do it!" She then looked over at Elle menacingly. "Oh, but Elle, you should invite your friend RJ!"

Elle glared back at her friend, but didn't want to make a scene in front of Theo. "What a great idea," she said between gritted teeth.

Back at the station, Vic held Elle to her agreement to invite RJ. Elle felt so weird asking and almost hoped they would be busy, but of course they agreed to go and said they were looking forward to it. She let out a sigh, resigning to the awkward situation she was in.

"Why did you make me invite RJ?" she lamented as she and Vic checked hoses.

"You invite mine, I invite yours," she said with a laugh.

Elle chuckled, "Ugh fine, fair enough. ....It's gonna be fine right?"

"Yeah," Vic replied, though she didn't sound too sure. "It's gonna be great."