Frozen Yogurt

Frozen Yogurt

She was exhausted. Ever since she got her new job in Bloomingdale, their relationship was going downhill and they both realized that. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate their relationship or him, it was just something she had to do. She had an urge to prove to herself, to her family, to her friends, and mostly to him that she was capable of being an independent woman. She had to prove to him that she too, could have a job to be proud of. She wanted people to see that she wasn't the same Rachel Green, a spoiled daddy's little girl like she used to be. Moreover, she wanted this job so badly. This was the job that she really liked to do. It was her passion.

Why couldn't he see that? He, out of all people should've known how it felt like to have a job that they have passion about. He was one of them, for God's sake. She wanted to have what he had. She wanted to be like him, to be able to brag about their job in front of their friends. After all it was one of many things she loved about him. She loved how he was so passionate about his job. It inspired her. Why couldn't he realize that?

She was aware that today was their first anniversary, it was a memorable day for her too. But she had to work late, she had to prove to her boss that she was the right person for the job, that she deserved this job. She knew she was asking a lot from him lately, she knew they were getting distant, but in her defense she was trying to build her career up.

Why couldn't he support her? Why did he have to stop at her work and almost burn her entire office when she clearly had told him not to come? Why did he never listen to her? Was it too much to ask?

The answer was simple. He was afraid. He was feeling insecure.

For him, she was a dream come true. He had spent his teenager's life dreaming and drooling over her. Now that he had a real chance with her, he would do everything in his power not to let her go. So, when he felt like she was slipping away from him, he had to do something about it.

Sadly, for her, what he was doing was too much to tolerate. She had enough.

"You had no right to coming down to my office, Ross. You do not bring a picnic basket to somebody's work." She said exasperatedly. "Unless maybe they were a park ranger." She added sarcastically.

"Well, excuse me for wanting to be with my girlfriend on our anniversary. Boy, what an ass am i." He replied in the same sarcastic manner.

"But I told you i didn't have the time."

"You never have the time." He countered. "I mean I don't feel like I even have a girlfriend anymore, Rachel."

"Ross, what do you want from me? You want me- You want me to quit my job? So you can feel like you have a girlfriend?"

"No. But it would be nice if you'd realize that it's just a job."

That was it. He couldn't even understand how important this job was for her and it angered her.

"Just.. A Job?" She asked, feeling the anger building up inside her.

"Yes." He stood on his ground.

"Ross, do you realize that I'm doing something for the first time in my life. I'm doing something that I actually care about?" She asked. "This is the first time in my life that I'm doing something that I'm actually good at." She added exasperatedly, hoping that he would understand her. "I mean, if you don't get that-"

He cut her off, "No. Hey, I get that. I get that big time and I'm happy for you. But I'm tired of having a relationship with your answering machine, okay? I don't know what to do anymore."