It's a Wonderful Life

Description: "Please let her be okay," Ross Geller whispered desperately as he sat at the oncology wing of New York Presbyterian Hospital, his head down and tears in his eyes as he prayed for a miracle.

Disclaimer: The TV Show 'Friends' and all the characters inside it don't belong to me, obviously. Although it'd be really cool if someone gave me the show as a Christmas present. Anyone?

.....

A/N

Hi everyone! :)

This December, I decided to come back with a new one-shot story as an early Christmas gift to all of you.

This story is going to be in the same universe as 'Lights Will Guide You Home' and it's set in the year of 2022. For those of you who haven't read the full story on my Wattpad page, I'll just explain it very quickly here. So, in the LWGYH universe, after Leonard Green died, Ross and Rachel got married in Summer, 2006 in the backyard of their Long Island home. Together, they had two more kids, a son named Ethan – who was born in Spring 2007 and another surprise baby, a son named Eli – who was born in Summer 2013. Up 'till this day, they still lived in their Long Island home Rachel's father left her.

The description is kind of depressing for a Christmas story (believe me, I know), but it's something I have wanted to write after I saw this one episode of 'This is Us' and I can't get the idea out of my head ever since. So, prepare some tissues, it's going to be a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Enjoy! :)

.....

'It's a Wonderful Life'

Ross always thought of himself as a really lucky guy.

It might've taken him a while to get his own version of a happy ending, but on a sunny Summer day in Long Island, 2006, he married the love of his life.

He could still remember that day vividly in his head as if it was only yesterday. His wife, Rachel Green (now Rachel Geller), had always been beautiful, but that day as she walked down the aisle toward him, his heart literally stopped. Her perfect broken white off-shoulder wedding dress complimented her radiant smile beautifully. Her eyes were wet from happy tears but her blue eyes had never been more beautiful to him, and as their gazes locked for the first time that day, time stopped, and the whole world disappeared.

He could've sworn that he had never seen someone as beautiful as his wife on their wedding day, especially when they recited their vows in front of their family and friends, and then the priest finally announced them as husband and wife.

Looking back at their wedding photos always gave Ross goosebumps, he couldn't believe he got to be so lucky for the second chances they got, to be able to spend the rest of his life with her. That day was hands-down one of the best days of his life, together with the days each of their precious kids were born.

Speaking of kids...

God, how the hell was he going to tell them?

Was there a guidebook to tell their children that their mother might or might not get cancer?

Ross wiped the tears that started to run freely down his cheeks. He promised to be strong for her, but as he sat here in the waiting room - waiting for her examinations to be done, he couldn't stop himself from breaking down.

He couldn't lose her.

The thought of not having to wake up beside her, hearing her voice, feeling her touches, and seeing her smile that greeted him every morning was tearing his heart apart in a way it was so painful, Ross would've traded position with her in a heartbeat. He'd trade his life for her if it was possible, because the world needed Rachel.