Friend Request

Summary: An inevitable talk about their past had to happen after Rachel accidentally rejected a certain friend request from her husband's Facebook. ONESHOT.

.....

'Friend Request'

October, 2009

It was a quiet Saturday night in the Green-Geller residence. Rachel Green was reading a book peacefully in her living room, propping her legs into the coffee table and occasionally sipping a steaming cup of chamomile tea.

The kids were already asleep in their rooms upstairs, while her husband was sitting beside her, typing out a journal that was due on Monday. Comfortable silence fell between the married couple and the only noises that filled the room was the sound of their two-year-old pug, Rex, snoring loudly as he snuggled in between the couple. Rachel gave the dog an occasional rub on his tummy as she continued to read her book.

"This is why he refused to sleep anywhere else but beside you." Ross shook his head, watching his wife and their dog with an amused smile. "You're treating him like a baby."

"Rex is my baby. Fur baby." Rachel giggled, looking at her husband with a playful smile. "You're just jealous because he claimed your spot."

"I don't think I like him. He always snuggles next to you and puts his butt over my face..." He frowned. "...to make it worse, he farts all the time and his fart smells like rotten potatoes. If it's not for the kids, I'd give him away to Monica a long time ago."

"Oh, come on. You didn't mean it. You'll be lonely without Rex."

"I'll be fine without Rex." Ross muttered quietly, although contrary to his words, his free hand reaching out to rub the dog's belly.

Instantly, the dog responded to his touch and he settled closer to Ross, resting his head into Ross' thighs.

"Aw, you two are the cutest."

Ross smiled.

"Let me snap a quick picture of you two, I'll post it on Facebook."

Rachel quickly grabbed her blackberry from the table and snapped a few pictures of Ross and their dog.

"Let me look at the pictures before you post it."

Rachel rolled her eyes, but gave him her phone anyway. Satisfied, Ross gave Rachel her phone back and with a few clicks the pictures were posted.

"You tagged me, right?" Ross asked after a while, his fingers moving smoothly over the cursor as he refreshed his Facebook profile. A smile erupted from his lips when he saw a new notification. "Oh, never mind. The notification just came in."

"-and you said you'd be fine without him." Rachel shook her head and smiled. "Oh, can I borrow your laptop for a sec? I left mine at the office and I need to send out an email to my assistant before I forget."

"Sure." Ross handed her his laptop. "I'll just grab some beer from the kitchen. Do you want anything?"

"No, thanks." She flashed him a smile as he kissed her forehead and left.

Rachel smiled as she saw his picture with their dog, she had just tagged him. He was smiling so brightly at the camera, one hand on the dog's belly.... and yet he kept saying things he didn't mean.

Ross and Rex were best buddy. He took Rex to the park almost every day and to the dog park every weekend with the kids. Ross loved the dog, though he wouldn't admit it out loud because Rex was more attached to her than him, even though Ross had been the person who brought Rex home from the shelter as a birthday gift for Rachel's 37th birthday.