Pillow Talk

Pillow Talk”

The room was dark aside from the moonlight creeping through the bedroom window. Two figures were lying on the queen-sized bed, their naked limbs tangled under the thin sheets. It was well past midnight, but no matter how tired they were, they refused the temptation to sleep, wanting to bask in this intimate moment a little bit longer.

Rachel let out a soft sigh as she felt his finger dancing delicately over the naked skin of her arms, settling her head closer to his chest so that she could hear his heartbeat pounding off her ears. For some reason she couldn’t understand, hearing the rhythm of his heartbeat had always managed to soothe her. She never felt this way before about anyone else and those feelings she felt right now… She wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Ross brought his hand slowly to her waist, pulling her out from her reverie. He then pulled her closer and planted a soft kiss to her hair. She smiled; she could not thank him enough for the things he did for her today.

Today was bearable enough thanks to him and their friends.

When her friends told her that her parents were both here on her birthday party, Rachel was pretty sure that this day would end in disaster. This birthday was supposed to be her best one yet and it was, until her parents decided that the best way to spend their daughter’s birthday was to complain non-stop about one another. Going through her parents’ divorce was already hard for her to process, she didn’t know why her parents felt the need to make it harder for her.

Couldn’t they see that she was happy?

Didn’t they want her to be happy?

She was finally happily in love with someone who didn’t only see her from her physical look, but for who she truly was. She finally found someone who can be both her best friend, but also a great lover. She was finally with Ross Geller, the man she ever truly loved.

Sharing this special day with Ross had been nothing but perfect. He had brought her favorite flowers, took her to her favorite French restaurant, pampered her with really nice gifts, and most important of all, made her so, so happy – she felt like she needed an anchor to keep her from afloat.

It was crazy that she felt so much in love with Ross, she could easily forget how her life was before him. To fall in love with someone she practically knew her whole life, but never really noticed until recently.

She wished she had known sooner what a great guy Ross was. She wished she wasn’t that quick to overlook his true self just because he wasn’t as cool as other boys in her school. She felt a pang of guilt at that thought, but she decided to brush it off as quickly as those feelings came. There was no point dwelling in the past. She couldn’t change it no matter how much she regretted it. She wouldn’t let their past dictate their future.

What was important was now she was so in love with him, she could not picture her life without him anymore.

And honestly… that scared the crap out of her.

Especially after tonight where she watched her parents who used to be two people in love, despised one another so deeply, they couldn’t stand being in the same room.

She was terrified that the same thing would happen to her and Ross.

These irrational thoughts started to get into her to the point she felt like it was getting hard for her to breathe. Her chest felt strangely painful and tears stung her eyes when the thought of breaking up with Ross entered her mind. She tightened her hold against him, practically clinging into him like a lifeline.