The Razors Edge

"Ladle."

"No."

"Saddle."

"Saddle has two D's."

"Fable."

"Nope."

"Bagel?"

"Wow. You are terrible at spelling."

"Ugh." I flop backwards onto the tiled floor in anguish, "I give up. This is impossible."

"It was table." Will writes the rest of the lettering on the small game of hangman we were playing on my calf before dropping the pen, "Not that difficult."

I peer at him through my arm, which I had cast over my eyes in defeat. We're sitting on the ground, having just listened to Murray tell us exactly how to get to his secluded house, and are sprawled out for a small, cramped moment before we face it all. Just five minutes of rest before we have to keep going.

"They're leaving," Will mumbles in a tone of voice that suggests our five minutes is up, "I'm gonna say goodbye to my mom."

"Okay," I sigh, and he stands up. I pull my leg towards me, examining Will's messy writing on my skin and smiling. A ways away, Hopper is talking lowly to El, and I watch them carefully. Any thoughts of jealousy are fiercely overpowered by the joy I feel at the idea of staying with Hopper. Suddenly I have to stifle my smile.

"What are you so giggly about?" Max eyes me suspiciously as I stand up. I just shrug.

"My dad's in prison."

"Yeah, that'll do it."

I tug on her braid, "Glad you're alive."

"That makes one of us."

I laugh, and she smiles as well, pushing my hand away. We approach Mike and Lucas, who turn to El and Hopper.

"Hey, we should probably go," Mike says, walking a few steps forward.

Hopper looks up and sighs, and El turns to him, hugging him tightly goodbye. He squeezes her back, his eyes lifting to mine over her shoulder. I smile and nod, and he does too, and it's enough. No words, no more sobbing hugs. All is said and done with the one small gesture. It's all we need. Because we're always okay, me and Hopper. No matter what happens.

El stands up with the help of Mike, and Max steps forward to take her other arm. We all turn, heading in the other direction.

"Mike," Hopper calls, and Mike stiffens beside me before turning. I take El's arm from him, and Max and I continue walking. Behind me, I hear Hopper's words and smile, "be careful."

And this time, inside, I promise myself I will be. This time, somehow, I make a vow to get through it. Because this time I have something to look forward to waiting for me at the end.

Mike takes El back from me, and I let him, trailing behind as we make our way to the doors.

The night air is warm, and I breathe it in fondly, my eyes trailing the dark lot. Suddenly, I freeze.

"What is it?" Will asks, following my gaze to the bike locks, where one thing sits propped against the metal loops.

"That's . . . weird," I mumble, veering off the path to Mrs Wheeler's car and venturing to the locks. I pick up a skateboard, examining the art on the bottom and frowning. Behind me, everyone begins loading into the car, and Mike helps El into the trunk.