Problem Child

And so we keep walking, knowing that we must be close to the end but still not able to see it. Robin and Steve take the lead, Erica lagging behind slightly and Dustin and I making up the caboose. I give him a sideways glance before speaking.

"Since we're practically walking towards a sure death, be honest," I say, a smug smile becoming my features despite the efforts I put into keeping a straight face, "is Suzie real?"

"Really, Liz? Right now?"

"Yeah, right now." I nod, "When's a better time?"

"There is no good time," He shoots back at me in annoyance, "is it so hard to believe that I have a girlfriend?"

I give him a look, and he rolls his eyes.

"You know what I think?"

"What do you think, Dustin?" I say flatly, though a small smile is still on my face.

"I think you're just jealous."

I laugh, though it's dry and mirthless, "Don't flatter yourself, Henderson."

"Not of Suzie," he clarifies, "you're jealous of the fact that I'm in a stable and loving relationship because Jonny cheated on you."

Okay, ouch.

I try not to show my reaction, instead responding with the usual insulting and sarcastic comments that I always rely on to replace intense emotion.

"Oh is that what you think?" I scoff, "Because that sounds like you changing the subject from my previous question. Don't drag my love life, which at least existed, into this to make yourself feel better about having an imaginary girlfriend."

"Is having an imaginary girlfriend really worse than a boyfriend who decides you aren't good enough?" Dustin retorts, and my brother turns around angrily.

"Woah! Hey!" He points at Dustin, but we both ignore him.

"Are you really so pathetic that you value the approval of someone you made up?" I scoff, genuinely annoyed at his words and slightly hurt by what they imply.

"No, because Suzie is real, and she would never cheat on me," he answers, and I nod seriously.

"Not even with the captain of the chess team?" I gasp dramatically, "The self control she must have!"

"I am so over your pointless insults!" He snaps, and soon we've both slowed to a stop to turn to one another in anger, "Ever since your 'Steve Stage' you've been nothing but awful!"

"Steve Stage?" Robin turns to my brother, who stops to face us.

"Yeah, can we not call it that, guys?"

"Am I so awful for calling you out on your bullshit?" I ask, raising my voice, "Ever think that maybe it wasn't that stage that brought my insults and it's just the fact that you can be unbelievably unbearable?"

"Oh I'm the unbearable one?" He says, and I wipe his spit off my face as he talks, "It's not my fault you went all crazy on us three months ago!"

"Would you two shut the hell up!" Erica suddenly cuts us both off, shouting loudly and effectively stopping mine and Dustin's argument. We all turn to look at her in slight shock, eyebrows raised as she rolls her eyes, "I am not walking for the next half hour with you two blabbering on about stuff that doesn't even matter! Blondie, your boyfriend cheated on you, big gist! Curly boy, even if your girlfriend is real, she lives in Utah! That ship has sailed. Now give me some peace and quiet!"

Our mouths all clamp shut, none of us having any words to respond to the ten year old. Steve and Robin glance at each other, looking slightly amused as I just glare at Dustin and continue walking, leaving him to roll his eyes before following.