Spoilin' for a Fight

After Dustin records the message, we both stand up, overly excited and slightly terrified. All previous bickering and hate is hastily pushed aside by the excitement we share.

"What if we just intercepted some sort of plot to overthrow the government?" I ask as we rush down the hill with the radio in hand.

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" He grins giddily.

"Dustin. This could be huge!" I laugh, "if we turn this into officials, then—"

"We're not turning this into anyone." He shakes his head as he cuts me off.

"What? Why?" I frown.

"Because. I want to figure it out first. I want to know what they're saying. It's my machine that picked it up," he explains, "and if we turn it in we'll never know."

I nod, "Fair enough, but how are we supposed to figure out what it's saying? We don't speak Russian."

"We'll find someone who does. We'll figure it out," he says as we reach the bottom and stop, "Tomorrow, okay?"

I nod eagerly, "all right."

"All right. Bye, Liz."

"See ya, Dustin."

I turn the other way, heading to where I parked my bike and hopping on before riding into the night. I take the main roads, knowing better at this point in my life than to wander off at night. I ride at fast pace, grinning into the wind as the thought of uncovering some secret message looms in my head.

I'm so distracted by my thoughts and going so fast that I don't see the car in front of me.

"Shit!" I exclaim, my back wheel getting clipped by the bumper and sending me spinning to the ground. I scrape my knees and elbows on the concrete, luckily saving my head from hitting it as well.

The car comes to a screeching stop, and who better than to hop out than Billy freaking Hargrove.

"You've got to be shitting me," I mumble, standing up and backing away as he comes my way angrily.

"What the hell was that, Harrington?" He shouts, "You looking to get killed?"

"I didn't see you, Jesus!" I shout back, picking up my bike and placing it between us as a safety precaution. This is exactly the time and place that Billy has been waiting to see me at, and I know it. A dark road with no one in sight except the two of us? They'll have to uncover my dead body from the manhole I currently stand on, "Ever heard of a little something called a speed limit? Who taught you how to drive? Helen Keller?"

He marches up to me and pulls my bike out of the way, grabbing my collar and lifting me off the ground in one painfully quick movement.

"You wanna say that again, Harrington?" He seethes, clearly angry, "Don't you know I've got better places to be right now?"

"Oh sorry." I roll my eyes, "I forgot your Assholes Anonymous group met on Thursdays. I'll be sure to remember next time."

He chuckles dryly before his face falls and he raises his fist.

"Wait!" I say, holding my hands up to cover my head, "Stop. You said you had places to be. You hit me with your car. Why don't we call it even Steven and let this old grudge go?"

"I have been waiting for this opportunity ever since your smart mouth disgraced my house. I'm not letting you talk me out of it."

He raises his fist again, and I cringe.

"You're really gonna keep her waiting?" I exclaim, clenching my eyes shut and preparing for the blow as I resort to extremes.

He stares at me, and I open one eye cautiously, "What did you say?"