It's a Long Way to the Top

"Wait so her name's Suzie?" Mike asks as we leave Dustin's room, him leading the way so we can meet his 'girlfriend'.

"Suzie with a 'z'. She's from Utah," Dustin says happily.

"Ten bucks says she isn't real," I mutter to Will, "Utah? Sounds made up."

He snickers at me.

"Girls go to science camp?"

"No," I shake my head, "losers go to science camp." I gesture to Dustin, "Exhibit A."

"Suzie does. She's a genius." Dustin ignores my comment as Will whacks me lightly.

"Is she cute?" Mike asks, as if a girl who goes to science camp couldn't possibly be attractive.

"Think Phoebe Cates, only hotter," Dustin responds.

"Ready to give up the ten bucks yet?" I ask Will, putting my hand out as if to say 'pay up'. He just grins and shakes his head.

"No way. I'm investing in Dustin."

"All right. Famous last words, Byers." I shake my head grimly, "I'm writing that on your tombstone."

"What's going on?" Max asks as we pass the kitchen. Lucas's head is still under the sink, and he rubs at his eyes as we follow Dustin out of his house.

"We're going to talk to Dustin's girlfriend," Mike says casually, as if this isn't the equivalent to seeing an extra terrestrial.

"Girlfriend?" They both ask in the exact same disbelief the rest of us showed just moments before.

"Probably not," I say, "but Will's investing, and I'm all for seeing Dustin get humiliated."

They rush to follow us out of the house, and we begin walking, some of us carrying different parts of the machine that is rumoured to contact Utah.

"So, Dustin," I call ahead so the boy can hear me, "you know people usually grow out of the imaginary friend thing when they're like, seven, right?"

"She's not imaginary," Dustin says, seemingly unfazed by my teasing, "and you'll be eating your words when you talk to her."

"And you'll be eating my dust when we all find out I'm right."

Max chuckles and shakes her head, "Can't say I've missed this."

"That's what I said," Mike grumbles from where he walks slightly behind with El on his arm.

For the rest of the walk, I listen to Dustin brag about his girlfriend, eventually tuning out and just chatting with Will. Soon we reach a large hill, and I groan.

"I'm not climbing this to talk to 'Suzie from Utah'." I use air quotes to emphasize my disbelief in the girl's existence.

"Come on, Liz." Will grins, "You've been spending too much time at the ice cream parlour. Maybe this hill will be good for your metabolism."

"Did you just call me fat?" I cock my head to the side, grinning as Will puts his hands up in defence and shrugs.

"You said it, not me."

I laugh out loud, shaking my head as the sun beats down on us and we begin to ascend the hill.

"Big words coming from such a little man," I quip as I nearly trip over a rock and fall on my face.