Night Prowler

"Erica, do you copy?" Robin asks through Dustin's walkie talkie since mine is out of battery.

"Mhm, I copy." Erica's voice sounds through the radio, reaching my ears from where I sit between Steve and Dustin, back on our same spot on the roof, "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position," Robin says, keeping her voice low even though there are no armed guards around, "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

"Can we maybe not call it that?" Robin asks as I snicker, earning a whack in the arm from my brother.

"See you on the other side, nerds."

I roll my eyes and shift so I sit cross legged, eyeing Robin as she puts down the walkie talkie and sighs.

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" Steve asks, "She's what? Six years old?"

"It's the best we've got," I answer, "At least she can't sue us, right? And hey, would her not surviving this really be the worst thing?"

"Liz! Jesus!" Steve hits me again, much harder than last time, "You can't say things like that, man."

"What? I'm just being honest." I rub my arm and glare at him, "It would be better for business, that's for sure."

"You act like you work at Scoops," Dustin says, and I glance at him, shrugging.

"I practically do, after today."

"You overcharged all of our customers claiming there was an economic failure and 'corporate is demanding compensation'." Robin says, and I smirk.

"Exactly. I'm doing your job better than you."

"Well there's that, and then there's the fact that you can't make an ice cream sundae for shit," Steve mutters, and I scoff.

"As if you're any better," I retort, "Next time put rat poison in my milkshake and maybe it'll taste better."

"I just might," he bickers, "Besides, that's mighty rich coming from you. You really make our customers put the split in banana split."

"Is that what you think?"

"Yeah, that's what I think."

"Well, I'll have you know—"

"Would you two shut up," Robin says to us, and we both go quiet for a minute, narrowing our eyes at one another.

"Yeah, Liz, shut up, would you?"

"Oh, really?" I laugh in disbelief at my brother, "As if you didn't start this!"

"Me? Seriously?"

"Oh my god!" Robin cuts me off before I can speak, turning to Dustin.

"Are they always like this?"

He just shrugs, "Usually she picks fights with me, actually."

"You're asking for it," I say, eyeing him up and down and flicking his hat, "I mean, look at you."

"See, Liz is the problem," Steve says, and I turn to glare at him.

"Wanna bet, wise guy?"

"You are not starting this again," Robin grabs Steve's sleeve and tugs him so he's on her other side, putting her between us.

I laugh, "You underestimate our ability to argue over you."

She just gives me a look before the static sounds back through the walkie talkie, and we all lean in to hear Erica, forgetting any feuds that had begun.