05 - draco fucking malfoy

Easter

Yes, the dreaded day has arrived. The first day of Easter Holidays.

I was a nervous wreck all morning.  My knee bouncing, my fingers drumming on the table, teeth grinding and jaw clenching.  Draco noticed this.

"What's the matter, Princess?" He asked sitting down next to me.

"That seats taken" I snapped.

"Woah, no need to be hostile" he said putting up his hands defensively. "I'm concerned about you."

"Ha" I scoffed. "Draco Malfoy, concerned about something other than himself and his hair? That'll be the day."

"Look Athena, I just want to know whats bothering you. But clearly talking to you is hopeless, so I'll give up."

"It's none of your business" I replied. "But since you're so worried about me, fine. I'm nervous because I'm going home today and tomorrow night I'm meeting the asshole I'll have to spend the rest of my life with."

"What a lucky guy" he smiled.

"Yeah because being my husband is such a dream come true" I laughed. "Oh yes, I can see me as a perfect, obedient wife, caged by my husband."

"If you were my wife, I definitely wouldn't cage you" he said. "Athena Avery can not be kept in a cage."

"Yeah, you're right Malfoy" I agreed. "If any man tried to control me I would probably tear off his face and shove it down his throat until he chokes."

"Well thats... violent" he said.

I set my fork down. "Whatever. I have to go get my trunk from my dormitory" I said standing up abruptly and leaving.

The train ride was long, and I panicked the entire time. I hate my parents, so needless to say I was less than excited to see them.

And tomorrow I would be meeting my husband. How exciting.

My parents picked me up at Kings Cross, greeted me formally and that was that. We didn't talk at all that night, I went upstairs to the library with my cat and stayed there until morning.

I came downstairs to see our house elf cooking breakfast, my father sitting at one end of the table reading the newspaper and my mother snapping at our elf to hurry up.

"Good morning Athena" my mother smiled widely and leapt up to kiss me.

I sat down and waited for breakfast.

"Would you hurry up, you stupid elf!" My mother shrieked suddenly, making me wince.

The elf jumped and hurried his pace. The scariest thing about my parents is how quickly their moods change.

"Elisabeth" father snapped. "Respectable ladies do not raise their voices."

"I apologize"  my mother replied automatically.

The elf served our breakfast quickly.

"Thank you Tooby" I smiled.

My parents have lectured me before about how to treat our elf, but they don't realize that as a child Tooby was my best friend. To me, Tooby was a part of our family. Not that we're much of a family.

"Athena, you must be on your best behaviour tonight" my mother said sternly. "You need to impress his family."

"Don't worry mother, I'll smile and nod and be a proper lady, only speaking when spoken to" I smiled.

"That's right" father said. "Because men want a woman who will listen and not be a burden."

It was simple: I have to become my mother. Obeying everything my husband says. Belonging to him. Thats what men want according to my parents.

I've been taught since I was young to do as I'm told. I've been taught that I need to earn respect, but not power. Power is for my husband. I've always wanted power.

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted a happily ever after with my prince charming, but as I got older I began to look at the villains.

The Evil Queen, Malificent, they're both powerful women who earned power through fear. I envy that. Cinderella never had power. She simply does as shes told and then she marries a handsome prince. Every princess in muggle fairytales waits for her prince to save her.

Just once, I want a princess to say, 'fuck prince charming, I can kill this dragon myself.'

I never understood why women must bow to men. I always told myself that I would bow to no man, but it looks as though I have no choice anymore.

There was a knock at the door in the evening. I waited in front of the door in a black satin dress, with my hair curled, and waited to greet my new fiancé.

My mother swung the door open.

My smile disappeared when I saw who was standing on the other side of the threshold grinning at me.

Draco fucking Malfoy.