12 - darkmark

Obviously, I decided to tell Caroline off before she left.  She apologized before I needed to, laughed and said she had to much of the grown ups punch and was embarrassed for flirting with my fiancé. 

"Are you alright Caroline?" I asked.  "You just seem.. different."

She took a breath.  "Honestly no, not really" she said quietly.  "My dad told me a few nights ago that I'm of age and therefore, am ready to be a Death Eater."

I hugged her, not knowing what to say, and then our parents came in. 

"We have good news girls" mother smiled.  "Its time for you to get your dark marks."

I almost threw up. 

"The Malfoys are about to apparate home, and we're going with them so you girls can join the meeting."

I looked at Caroline. Her face was deathly pale and her eyes wild.

"And, even better" her dad spoke. "We're going to be staying here.  War is coming and we need to be here to help the Dark Lord change the world soon."

Before we could respond they beckoned us out the door.  I followed them into the hall where Draco and his parents were waiting by the door.  He was as pale as Caroline.  He gave me a look I couldn't read as we all went out the door.  Everyone took eachothers hands and Lucius turned on the spot.  I'm not even going to explain apparating because its such an agonizing experience.

We were suddenly in front of Malfoy Manor. Everyone released each others hands and stepped forward.  Draco held on to me.

The grand front doors opened for us and I entered the dark house.  A short, ugly man closed the door behind us. (Ugh fucking rat)

Lucius and Narcissa led us through the hall and to the dining room.  Their faces were grim as they exchanged a meaningful look.  They were definitely afraid.  My parents on the other hand, looked happy.  They couldn't wait for their little girl to receive her dark mark and become a slave.

Draco pulled me closer and held my hand tighter as we were welcomed into the dining room.  I followed him to the table and sat next to him. 

I worked up the courage to look up to the end of the table.  The Dark Lord wasn't here yet.  I heard a cackle from down the hall.  Bellatrix.  She skipped into the room happily. 

"The kids are getting their dark marks!" she sang as she barged through the doors. 

Lucius rolled his eyes from across the table but Narcissa grinned slightly at her sisters mood. Draco just looked like he was going to have a stroke, and I would imagine I look something like that.

Suddenly the room went cold and silent, and a black smoke blasted through the doors.  Voldemort emerged from the smoke and walked up the table. I held my breath as he got closer.

He stopped behind my chair.  "Ah, a new face I see?"

His long fingers turned my face to look at him.  "You look just like your mother.  Quite unfortunate really" he pushed my face away and his sharp nails dug into my chin.

I looked at the table as Draco put his hand on my thigh. 

"And you must be Caroline" he ran his fingers along the back of her chair.  I saw her shiver.  "I understand you and your parents came here all the way from France?"

"Yes my Lord" she said quietly. 

My uncle spoke up.  "We plan to stay and serve you once again, my Lord."

The Dark Lord sat down at the head of the table. 
"So, the children are ready to step up now and receive their marks?"

"Yes my Lord" Lucius replied. 

Voldemort nodded.  "Come Draco."

He looked at me before standing and kneeling in front of Voldemort. 

"Hold out your arm."

Draco rolled his shirt sleep up and held out his arm.  He was shaking.  Narcissa turned to Lucius. 

"Lucius their only children" she mumbled desperately.  "They aren't ready."

Lucius ignored her.  I watched as the Dark Lord pressed his wand to Draco's left arm.  Then Draco stood and returned to his chair next to mine. He quickly rolled down his sleeve. 

"Caroline." 

He have Caroline hers.  I couldn't breathe.  He would give me mine next. I never wanted to be a death eater.  Draco shook my arm.

"Athena."

I stood up slowly, I could hardly stand.  I kneeled in front of him and held my arm out to him and closed my eyes. 

I never wanted to be a death eater.  But I do think everything happens for a reason.  This is a symbol of my power.  A symbol of who I have on my side.  With this, no one would dare fuck with me. 

I smiled. The Gryffindors would stop tripping me in the halls.  I can make them leave the Slytherins alone.  All of those self righteous assholes are terrified of Death Eaters.  Fuck them. 

I opened my eyes to see the new mark on my arm. A skull and a snake.  I stood and sat next to Draco. 

I'm still not happy to be a death eater. But heres the thing: I can do more in this war from the inside.  The death eaters are all on the wrong side.  But if I wanna help, I'm in exactly the right place.