06 - pretend

"No" I groaned. 

"Good evening Athena" Draco greeted, ignoring my protest.

Mother looked at me sharply.

"Good evening Draco" I plastered on a smile.  "Its nice to see you."

"Its nice to see you two already know eachother" Mrs Malfoy smiled. 

"Yes, Athena and I are great friends" Draco replied.

Mrs Malfoy held out her hand.  "Narcissa, nice to meet you."

I shook her hand. 

"Come, dinner is ready in the dining room" my mother said with her shiny smile on.

I sat across from Draco and my parents sat at the ends of the long table.

"Athena, your parents tell us you're top of your classes" Lucius Malfoy said.

"Yes right up there with Draco" I replied. 

"Well you both work very hard" Narcissa said.

"But lucky for you after you marry our son you won't need to work anymore" Lucius said. "He'll be able to support you like a good husband should."

"Actually, I'm planning to work at the ministry when I finish Hogwarts" I replied. 

My parents laughed.  "Oh darling, theres no place for you there.  Your only responsibility is to be a wife" mother said.

I took a sip of wine to keep from throwing the glass at my mother.

"She can work if she wants" Draco said.  "I mean what do you expect her to do all day? Wander the house?"

I turned to look at him for the first time since we sat down.

"My daughter has no business in the ministry" my father said.

"Well I would vote for her as minister of magic" Draco said. "I think Athena belongs there as much as anyone."

Narcissa smiled. "Thats sweet Draco.  I think if Athena wants to work at the ministry then so be it.  Shes a strong and clever girl, I think she would do well there."

"Thank you" I smiled at her. 

"She has no reason to have a job" father said harshly.  "Theres is no place in the ministry of magic for women."

"I'm sorry father, you're right.  I'm nothing.  I'll marry Draco, he'll own me and I'll listen to what my master- I mean husband tells me."

I took another sip of wine. 

"Athena stop pitying yourself.  We're giving you a good life" mother said.

"No, you're taking my life and handing it over" I slammed my glass on the table.  "Whatever.  My life is yours.  I won't get a job if it means so much to you."

I stood up and walked to my room, then sat at my desk and pulled out a quill and parchment to write to Pansy.

Its fucking Draco Malfoy.  I have to marry that asshole.  Please send immediate help. 

I opened my owls cage and tied it to her leg. 

"Take this to Pansy please, Amora" I said as I carried her to the open window. 

There was a knock at my door.

I ignored it and took a book from my bookshelf and sat on my window to read. 

My door opened and Draco entered. 

"My mother told me I should talk to you" he said.  "But you never really want to talk to me so.."

"This is fucking stupid."

"Yeah, but I don't mind marrying you."

"Well I do mind" I huffed.  "I knew I would be sold to some asshole but I didn't know I would have to marry the biggest asshole I've ever met."

"Am I really that bad?"

"Yes."

"Athena look, I'm glad its you I'm being forced to marry."

I set my book down and looked at him.  "You are?"

"Yeah, I like you" he sat next to me.  "You don't take shit from anyone or let anyone shove you around.  I wouldn't be bored with you.  And I'm going to make sure you get whatever job in the ministry you want."

"Why do you care so much?" I asked.

"We're being forced into marriage, so I want us both to be happy.  And by the way, I never will own you."

"I don't want to get married.  We would eat each other alive."

"Then why don't we just pretend?"

"Pretend?"

"Lets just convince everyone we're some perfect, happy couple to please our parents.  We can go to family gatherings and you can pretend to be the 'perfect' daughter your parents want.  If you want we can live completely separate."

"Fine, lets pretend."

He stood up and held out his hand.

"Then we better get back to dinner Mrs Malfoy" he smiled.

I took his hand and we returned to the dining room. 

"Oh, you're back" father said.  "I didn't think you were going to return after throwing a temper tantrum and storming off to bed as usual."

"Can I just kill my parents?" I mumbled to Draco through gritted teeth.

"I don't think that would be a wise decision" he whispered back.

We sat down on opposite sides of the table and finished our meal quietly. 

Holy fuck.  I have to marry Draco Malfoy.  My worst nightmare has become my life.