Heather

I laugh as Amanda places a top hat on her head and takes on a serious expression. Sarah places a sombrero on Lucy, who tosses me a fez. I laugh as Sarah takes a large, fluffy, purple hat off a nearby shelf and puts it on her head with confidence.

“Ah yes,” Amanda said in a ridiculously deep voice,” the council has gathered to determine which hat is the most ridiculous. Elder Sarah what say you?”

Sarah and I break into a fit of giggles as Lucy quickly says, “Elder Sarah cannot speak due to a case of Giggle-itis. It is very serious and I fear she’s passed it onto Elder Heather.”

Sarah stops her laughing long enough to say, “Yes, but Elder Amanda might be in desperate need of a case of Giggle-itis. Pray tell us Elder how long has it been since you last giggled?”

“Four score and seven years ago.” Amanda says pointing to her top hat.

“Well that just won’t do.” I say through my laughter. “We must think of something that will make Elder Amanda giggle.”

“Crude language and jokes usually work on her.” Lucy says switching her sombrero for a cowboy hat. “What jokes shall we tell first.” She adds in an exaggerated southern accent.

“I suppose the very name of the lake Titicaca  will work.” Sarah says laughing.

Amanda breaks into a laugh along with us, the four of us nearly doubling over. The clerk merely rolls his eyes and goes back to texting someone.

“Well I think the three of you succeeded in getting me to laugh.” Amanda says taking off her top hat and placing it back on the shelf. “But in all seriousness here, which hat should I get?”

“I think you should get a neon pink swim cap.” Lucy says looking for other hats.

“No it has to be a neon yellow swim cap.” I add. “Even more obnoxiousness.”

“Wait a diddily darn second!” Amanda exclaims as she rushes to another section of the store.

“Did you just steal Cara’s curse word there?” Sarah asks with a laugh.

“Yes, yes she did.” Lucy said placing the cowboy hat on a shelf and grabbing a trendy white knit cap with a black bow. “Ooh, what about this one?”

It made a nice contrast to her light brown skin tone and I knew she packed an outfit that it would go perfectly with.

“I like it.” I tell her taking off my fez and trading it out for a hat similar to Lucy’s, only with a tan base color and a white ribbon. “Hope you don’t mind if I steal?”

“Go for it girl.” Lucy says helping Sarah pick one out.

“Did you find whatever mesmerized you so much Amanda?’ I ask the older girl when she rushes back to us with a large grin on her face.

“Yes I did.” She says in a sing song voice whilst holding out a gray newsboy hat.

“Why did that one get your attention so quickly?” Sarah asks looking at an assortment of sun hats.

“Other than my sad obsession with Newsies?” Amanda says with a raised eyebrow. “That’s like, the only reason I want it.”

“Can’t blame you.” I say helping Lucy and Sarah look at the sun hats. “About the interest in the musical.”

“Anyways what restaurant are we going to dinner at?” Sarah asks looking at a blue hat with pursed lips.

“I was thinking Kiantis’ Pizza and Pasta Bar.” Amanda says. “Unless we all want to go to different places, then I’m getting a slice or two from Pizza My Heart.”