Ruby

We wait a few days before heading to the Boardwalk. It was a good thing too, because we went on one of the less hectic days, although it was still pretty packed. Walking up and down and laughing was fun, the food was decent, but the best part by far was the rides. True there were long waits to get on, but the wait was worth it.

We’re waiting in line for Fireball when two guys bump into us.

“Sorry.” One says quickly as we turn around. He gives a small smile and rubs the back of his neck. His friend gives a sheepish smile as he shrugs.

“Got a little carried away.” He mumbles. “I’m Nick by the way.”

Nick sticks his hand out and drops it to his side quickly when none of us reach to shake it. His friend laughs and shakes his head.

“Jack.” Nick’s dark haired friend says with a sigh. “Really sorry about bumping into you guys.”

“It’s fine.” Isabelle says with a smile. “Happens sometimes.”

Jack and Nick continue talking to us while Isabelle shamelessly flirts with them (which is a lot better than stuttering and looking around nervously like she used to). As we get closer to the front of the line we find out the boys are spending the summer here before heading back to college. Isabelle only seems more determined to flirt with them when she learns that, and I have to give her props for it. She’s gotten a lot gustier over the years and I can appreciate that. If one of them tries to flirt with me I don’t notice as I talk to Lucy about how excited I am to go on the ride. What can I say? I love roller coasters or any other kind of thrill rides.

After we finish the ride, Amanda looked like she was going to puke throughout the ride, Jack and Nick seem determined to hang out with us, which is fine by me, and eventually Jack laughs at a text.

“What?” Nick asks his grey eyed friend.

“David said he’s gonna kill us if we make him go on WipeOut.” Jack laughs. “Such a wimp.”

My eyes search the Boardwalk as I look for WipeOut. When I find it I give a small laugh. Sofia, Amanda, Cara, and Heather passed on it when we told them it was getting thrashed around in the dark with rave like music. I thought it was fun.

“You guys went on that one earlier right?” Nick asks with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah.” I say. “Well not Amanda, Sofia, Cara, or Heather.”

“Sue us.” Heather says. “We didn't wanna go so we didn’t go on. Nothing wrong with that.”

“No there’s not.” A voice says from behind me.

I roll my eyes as a tall brown haired guy comes into view and crosses his arms as he glances at Amanda.

“Aren’t you the-”

“Bitch who flipped you off after knocking you down?” Amanda cuts him off. “Yeah that would be me.”

“This is the girl who flipped you off?” Nick laughs. “From the way you described her I expected a preppy girl like Lola.”

Jack shudders when Nick says Lola and the other guy laughs. “Nah. I didn’t mean to make it sound like that. I was just a little pissed off.”

“Understandable.” Amanda says. “How about we both apologize and forget it happened?”

“Deal.” He says. “So what were my two idiot friends trying to get you ladies to do today?”

“Idiots?” Jack scoffs and places his hand over his heart as he makes an offended face. “I thought we had been bumped up to imbolieces.”

Nick and the other guy shake their heads and sigh. I raise my eyebrow and shrug as I look around the Boardwalk for some more rides to drag my friends on. Nick, Jack, and their friend hang out with us for a little while longer before we leave for a quick slice at Pizza My Heart, per Amanda’s begging before heading home. The pizza was okay, a little too thin of crust even though Amanda claimed it to be regular, but for the most part I was just ready to head back to the house.

By the time we got back Juliet and Cameron decided a movie marathon was in order. Lucy and I make snacks as Heather pulls up Netflix. Isabelle and Sofia seem to be arguing with Cara and Sarah about which movie to watch first.

“How about a scary movie?” I suggest as I put the large popcorn bowl on the coffee table.

“I actually have plans to sleep tonight with no nightmares.” Amanda says hugging her knees to her chest.

“Meds.” Cara and Juliet chime to tell the older girl.

Amanda nods and gives a mumbled thanks before heading to the bathroom. I sit down on one of the couches and watch as Isabelle and Sofia argue with Cara and Sarah over whether or not we should watch animated movies. Amanda gets back as Lucy jumps into the argument and sits on the floor with her pillow. Eventually Cameron breaks the argument up with the idea of a vote.

“All those who’d prefer animated movies raise your hands.” Cameron says. Isabelle, Sofia, and Lucy raise their hands. “Live action?” The rest of us raise our hands.

“Live action it is.” Juliet says with a small sigh. “WHat are you guys thinking?”

“We could watch everyone’s favorite movie series.” I suggest.

“Which one?” Lucy asks with a slight laugh.

“High School Musical.”

Laughter and yes’s ring out in the living room once i finish and even Amanda cracks a smile. Heather goes throw her Netflix to find the movies and out of the corner of my eye I see Amanda refuse to talk to Juliet and Cara, hugging her pillow tighter. Part of me wants to stop and ask if she’s okay, but a larger part says that she needs to be left alone.

I usually try to stay out of deep and emotional talks with the Group because it’s simply not something my whole heart’s in. If anything I sometimes wish they’d wait til I was gone to talk about it. But there are times when I’ll sit in and listen because they’re my friends. I wonder briefly if that’s why Amanda has these moments of sitting quietly while the rest of us do our thing. It’s not like they never happen, but I have the feeling she wishes they didn’t happen just as much as I do.

I sigh as Heather starts the movie and turns off the lights. I relax into the couch a bit more as the movie starts.