Chapter 3: The Welcoming Committee

The medical station was a one-room building supported by wooden posts driven into the ground. There were about twelve hospital beds with curtains hanging from the ceiling all around them. The air smelled like what you would expect - rubbing alcohol and latex. I was put into beds by the nurse's assistant. The assistant took care of us while we waited for the nurse who was out treating a student in their dorm room. 

The cross breeze from the open windows was nice and relaxing until we a pair of visitors spoiled the atmosphere.

"So I was trying to shut the gate by hand because for, like, some crazy reason SALI wasn't closing the gate. I almost had it shut when Vertigo pried it open with his horns. So I shouted to D-man to take his robot and save himself as I drew Virgo's attention.  I haven't been running as much these days so I was a bit out of shape and Vertigo messed me up a bit. I gave D-man enough time to get away before help arrived," Blaze prattled on from the bed next to mine with one of his legs propped up. He looked like a wounded soldier with bandages on his head and arms.

"WWWOOOWWW BLAZE YOU'RE SO COOL!" The two girls, the redhead, Reina, and the one with the hair buns, Viki, from earlier today shrieked in amazement as Blaze told his version of the story. As soon as me and Blaze ended up in the medical station. These two showed up in their tennis uniforms to check on, well mainly Blaze and Ace, but to some extension me too, I guess. To me, it didn't really matter that Blaze bent the story. As long as those two are gawking at Blaze then his stupid hubris is satisfied and he leaves me alone. Although him talking like we were long-time pals left a bad taste in my mouth. This did, however, shed some light on things though. I remember where I have seen Blaze earlier today. He was flirting with these two on the train before they came over and gushed over Ace. So beneath that brash exterior, he is just a jealous moron.

The young blonde nurse's assistant entered the medical station. The tail of the lab coat she wore over her school uniform flutter behind her as she swiftly moved to the counter. Her hair was straightened and neat. Not exactly a quality I expected from Blaze's sister. She pointed at Blaze's fan club. "Reina, Viki, out. Now," she said with her thumb pointed over her shoulder at the door.

"Oh come on Jenny. Why do you have to ruin everything?" Viki pouted

"We have a scrimmage game tomorrow. You two fell behind during our last match and I do not want to end up in last when this year's tournament rolls around. So go back to practice. Now." Jenny said while preparing a vile of antiseptic on the counter.

"Whatever you say, captain. Come on Viki," Reina said.

"Bye Blaze. Bye Ace," the girls said. Each blowing a kiss towards Ace who was sitting on the table next to my bed reading one of the magazines he found. Blaze just looked at his sister with a bitter stare.

"Oh spare me the evil eyes bro," Jenny said as she walked over toward me with a tray. "If you actually had some charm you would be able to woo a girl without bending your stories."

"I didn't bend it." Blaze looked like he was about to shrivel up and die when he was pierced by the arrows of his sister's statement.

"Don't mind my little brother. He is all bark and no bite," Jenny said as she began to disinfect the cuts on my arms. You're the new kid, right? What colony are you from?"

"He is not from a colony," Blaze said from across the room. "He came through the Nexus this afternoon."

My blood became like ice. "How did you-"

"I work part-time with campus security. I saw your file on Bernie's desk. Didn't know you were keeping it a secret," Blaze said with a smirk.

"Yeah. Well unlike you I don't like unnecessary attention. Also, if you don't mind. I don't like talking about my old life so could you please drop it?"