Chapter 5: Class of the Jurassic

A warm Friday morning breeze passed over me from the open an window in a Science Building classroom. Lazily I jotted down what the professor said, although I understood none of it. Introduction to Flora Identification. I never thought I would ever see this many plants in my lifetime, let alone that they would have such complex names. Smell this - it kills you. Eat this - it kills you. Touch this - it eats you. As if the dinosaurs weren't already bad enough. In this world, your mixed greens have it out for you.

When SALI assigned me to my class she generated a schedule to fit my career path. My hope is to further my knowledge in mechanics and begin work in robotics. In Termina, however, nothing is that simple. I am required to take courses with a focus on jungle survival in addition to my career classes. I have five classes this semester and only one has to do with my career choice - Intro to Circuits. Thus I find myself in this classroom surrounded by students who also must learn about killer salad.

I was beginning to doze off when the bell chimed signaling the end of the class.

"Remember students. You have an exam next Friday," said the teacher. "Oh, and Donovan. Considering you joined the school year midway I'll see if I can find you a tutor to help you catch up."

"Thanks," I said trying not to draw attention to myself.

The students began to shuffle out of the classroom when I got a glimpse of the girl with the purple hair I had seen on the monorail a few days ago. Her desk was all the way at the front of the class on the far left side. She stood up from her desk and started collecting her things. Because the other students ignored her she almost seemed like a ghost amongst the chattering crowd. She turned her gaze towards me as if she sensed me staring. Quickly, I made my way out of the classroom to avoid any confrontation with her.

As soon as I left the classroom I was intercepted by Aila whose face lit up with excitement when she found me.

"Donnie! How is your first day of classes going?"

"Fine I guess. Sill a bit exhausted from traveling here," I said. "I'm still a bit lost on some of the subjects, but I'm taking notes. I just need to make heads or tails of what they mean."

"Welllll... there was a posting for a tutor for you a few minutes ago on the SALI net and I figured Isaac could help you with Botany, and I could help you with Biology. On one condition that is," Aila said, her spiky hair bun bounced up and down as she happily walked next to me.

"A condition? Are you trying to help me or is just a scheme to get something out of me?"

"Both," she said with a beaming smile.

"Fine. What's the condition?"

"Isaac, Jenny, and I are going rock climbing later today and I need a climbing partner. Soooo... I was hoping you would join us. You just have to meet us at the Botanical Gardens around..."

"No," I said plainly.

Aila froze like a statue in disbelief. I stopped and turned back to see her frozen in shock.

"No? What do you mean no? A cute girl is asking you out on your first day of classes and you say no!" she said in an overly dramatic voice like kind of theater performance. She turned to me and winked. "Pretty please with extra sugar on top?"

I didn't like that it felt like everyone in the hall was watching us. "Look. I have my reasons. Also I am technically grounded after school. I have to go help repair the Rovers that were smashed by Vertigo. Sorry."

"Your aunt grounded you? But none of that was even your fault."

"She's grounding me because I disobeyed her," I said absent minded as I began to walk to my next class.