Epilogue

It was evening by the time I returned to campus. The sun had just slipped below the horizon and a chorus of nocturnal insects buzzed softly in the twilight. Both my aunt and uncle were out but there was a note on the fridge saying there were leftovers for me. I opened the fridge and grabbed a can of bitter-tasting melon soda. "Here's to another lonely birthday," I said popping the top.

I entered my room to find Ace sleeping as he levitated in space above the gravity pad. His small sphere body tilted slightly as he made little snoring sounds. I flicked on the lights, but Ace still remained in sleep mode. I began to-

I stopped.

On my bed was my dad's old WPD jacket, with a note and a small box on top of it. I approached the jacket and picked up the note.

Happy Birthday, Donovan!

Your uncle and I are very sorry we are out tonight, but we still wanted to do something special for you. So I asked Miybai to run interference for me to get you out of the house. I removed the metal shards and stitched up the holes in your father's old jacket. The temperature controller inside is a little wonky but I think you can figure that out. Your Uncle's gift is inside the box, although it's not as cool as mine, jk.

Love you lots,

Your Aunt and Uncle.

I put the letter down and carefully undid the ribbon on the small box and removed the lid. A wave of emotion almost knocked me off my feet when I saw what was inside.

I pulled the small object out of the box and held it in my hand. It was a small wooden frame and inside was my father's WPD shoulder patched. The bottom of the frame read "In loving memory of Jasper Selvic".

The End.