banter

"Stupid bitch," he spat.

"Ungrateful twat," she responded, not hesitating a second. 

The names dug deeper and came harsher, but she didn't mind. She didn't think he did either. 

He was annoying, but annoying him was fun. 

"God, I think I've called you every name in the book," he sighed, shaking his head.

Strands of midnight black hair fell from their slicked-back position on his head.

Her fingers twitched, as she resisted tucking the hair back. 

They had stopped in front of a great oak tree, long and limbering, with its crooked arms and mangled trunk. It provided shade from the blistering heat of mid-day, and time for her to admire his features.

His crooked nose, his bright green eyes.

"And you've yet to name one that's actually true," she teased back, crossing her arms as she smirked in delight. 

He fell silent for a second, angling his head slightly to the right as if to see her better. 

"Beautiful," he whispered softly, after a moment's silence.

Her breath caught in her throat. 

"What?" she asked, the sound barely making it out. 

Surely he hadn't meant her...

His boyish grin came over his face, the one that she had always dreaded.

But this time it was soft, not mischievous. 

It was sweet

"That's something I haven't called you before, huh?"

She couldn't respond. 

What type of response was she to give to that?!

He ignored her silence for once, pushing in closer so his face hovered over hers.

"My apologies," he said, smiling wryly, "It took me far too long... beautiful."